Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: An apology

An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25123

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
I have had about enough of the snide digs at this website by people at other websites.

Specifically Simouthouse and Classic British Flight Sim

I would like to clarify some things

1/. This site was set up by Rob English almost four years ago at a time when CBFS did NOT offer a download library to
the general public.
2/. Rob has been a fine host and has provided the wherewithall out of his own pocket to keep the website open.
3/. My contribution to this website has been as a "manager" in Robs absence nothing more nothing less.
4/. I have NEVER suggested that the contributors here NOT post their work on any other site. That has been entirely
by their own choice.
5/. Problems with downloads here have been noted and are a mystery - The website is a US based server and there is
NO problem with bandwidth.
6/. The use of .rar files by contributors is one of personal choice NOT a requirment of the adminstration.
7/. Classic British Files.com has NEVER claimed ANY affilation with Classic British Flight Sim.
8. After almost four years of DAILY maintenance and concern on my part I find that many people in this hobby (Especially those who have NOTHING to contribute) to be petty and spoilt. Classic British Files offers a library of Specific Fs9 and FSX software as freeware, and other than posting a donation thread will NEVER ask for any kind of payment.

So thats about it -- Im not sure if people in the hobby understand the amount of work that goes into keeping a webiste
running and current. But its a 24 - 7 - 365 day job - for which I do NOT get paid - the only thing I have gotten out of it
is the satisfaction of flying the wonderful gifts that are available here, and a certain amount of satisfaction of helping to provide them to the general public.

So after four years I have grown weary of the meanspirited petty comments elsewhere......It would appear from reading them that I am the problem. So I will resign management of Classsic British Files., there are other "Adminstrators" here who can do the job just as easily as I did , so I will leave it in their capable hands

Thanks to those who have supported the site and good luck

Leif Harding
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25125

• Keith Paine
  • Thank you received: 4
Leif,
You are very tired & overwrought after a stressfull house move - please re-consider your resignation, & remember Sticks & stones........
Have a happy New Year, see you back soon.
Keith
Upside Down In Cloud.....

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25142

Hello Leif,
Thank you for the help and encouragement you have given me over the past few months and I am sure there are many others who would say the same
thing, If your decision is final, and I hope that it's not, I wish you all the very best, but Classic British Files will be the poorer for it.

Robert Richardson

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25144

Keith Paine wrote:
Leif,
You are very tired & overwrought after a stressfull house move - please re-consider your resignation, & remember Sticks & stones........
Have a happy New Year, see you back soon.
Keith

Ditto, I can understand that, being in the driving seat, some of the comments are perceived as being personal but I think it has often been the case that folk are simply pointing out issues that they've experienced.

I've experienced issues with downloads when they are above about 6MB, but I don't think that any sane individual would think that you are sitting there ready to drop the line when their personal download is getting close to the magic number. As downloads attempts are free perseverence usually pays off eventually.

The weather here is about the right justification for a fortifying dram of Laphroaig before heading off to first foot the neighbours, so I suggest the same to see the New Year in and put the Green Crayon scribbling nuts of the web in perspective.

Cheers.

Allan
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. Just a thought. (Abe Lincoln)

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25146

Hi Leif,

I completely echo Roberts sentiments, you've been a great inspiration to me over the past year.
I am also proud to say that my only model so far is exclusive to CBFiles.

Paul

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25147

• Keith Paine
Leif,
You are in a priveledged position, because no doubt as far as downloads go you live in a large modern metropolis that has cable/ fibre optic connection. I am 6 km from my nearest telephone exchange which is apparently the limit for copper wire (you know that old fashioned stuff that pre-dates wet string) & I consider myself lucky to have 1 Meg capability, but I notice that that speed always drops at 0900 & at 1400 when everyone gets back to work & the shops open and everyone starts paying with their bank card.......I expect Allan is in the same boat..
Please re-consider & forget about the other neighbours.
Dont get too drunk to night, but enjoy yourself
Keith

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25148

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Again Thank you all

here is my Dilemma

Rick Pipers Chipmunk is 34mb and has over 12000 downloads here

does this mean that no one has successfully downloaded from this site? and if not where are all the complaints???

Leif

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25150

Leif,

I go on my knees for you, not only to ask you to stay as our promoter, our glue or whatever one calls it, but as a means of respect as well. You don't swallow your tongue when there has to be made a statement.

You get emotional when someone points to us, yes I mean us, because that is what you and Rob and all of us made of this site, its not individuals here, its US. And you feel responsible for us all. That makes me go on my knees for you... And makes me proud knowing you...

reconsider, please and a happy new year in advance! (from Jasper to Tag as well)

cheerio

Jan

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25156

Hi Leif and Happy New Year to everyone!

No, I don't think you would be doing anyone the least amount of good if you resigned as administrator. In this digital/electronic world we live in, it makes it very easy for people to be derogatory, spiteful and just plain mean while hiding behind the anonyminity of a username. They are just little people who enjoy being abusive in the cyberworld. Let them make asses of themselves, what they post says volumes about what they are. As you well know, one can never please everyone.

Those that know - and those are the ones who count - are well aware your dedication to this site.

Have a few adult beverages, ring in the New Year :)

Cheers,
Scott
KJMS (or thereabouts)

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by flugkapitan.

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25157

• Keith Paine
Leif,
Happy New Year to the Harding household - hows your head?

Re: your problem with the Chipmunk downloads - a lot depends on how the record is created on the server - is it by 'hits' at the beginning or is there a hidden number that records the completion of the download, because its quite possible that there are multiple attempts, me for one; Allan for another, we can account for 13 in the Llanbedr AI.
Its not your problem really if in the link between them & you there is a 'bouchon' (French term for a traffic jam!), or the person is unable to have access to a high speed link.
I also experienced a similar problem on the Rapidshare site with Peter sharing his versions - It told you that they were busy & to try again later, but that might have been due to the server not being capable enough.
I dont think that the cbf server (or is it the system) allows part downloads to start again from where they left off - at least it doesn't appear to.
Something for an experienced administrator to ponder, & maybe put right?
Have a nice day, hope you are off work to enjoy it!
Keith

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25158

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
No Keith Im working and the FAA frowns upon Dispatchers drinking 8 hours prior just like pilots so no hangover .

What I was saying was that Ricks Chipmunk has taken over 12000 downloads without ANYONE complaining -
Dave Garwoods Auster has taken over a 1000 with the same so even given mulitple attempts then one would expect someone to complain if they couldnt get it to download but there are none...so this was the cause of my consternation.

Leif
oh yes like Tony (Techy) Im working throught the whole holiday period .

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25159

Happy new year to you and yours Leif,

I thought I'd just test the downloading speed here.

It usually fails when I try from my office PC (inside the NHS network) but I just tried Ricks chipmunk from home, on an 8Mb ADSL line and got the fastest download rate I've ever seen!
it took less than a minute at an average of 680Kb/s - amazing - nothing wrong with this site!

Paul

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25161

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Thank you Paul and Happy New Year to you as well -- Im flummoxed by it. Anyway - back to the real world - it appears the entire North Eastern US wishes to go to Florida this morning ;)

Leif

Re:An apology 5 years 8 months ago #25163

• Miggers
  • Thank you received: 1
Happy New Year to all our readers :laugh:

What people forget is that it's the time of year when everyman and his dog get onto the 'net.
Buying presents,e-mailing to make visiting arrangements,yapping on Skype,we all do it don't we.

And then we try to download the latest thing for our flightsims and play merry hell because the connection keeps on dropping.

November and December must be the 'net's buisiest time of year,the weather's bad folks can't be bothered to go out,you all know the routine.

I run my own router for internet because there's two pc's and a laptop in this house that all use the net,so I'm used to things acting about.

Do others remember that?how many are actually using the net in their own household?,
it all combines to slow things down.

Stuff 'em Leif,if there's a site where a bunch of clowns can't see past the end of their noses then don't go there,it's that simple.
If there's a programme on the TV that you don't want to watch what do you do??,
sit and watch it anyway??.
Do you bullox,you either change channels,turn the thing off or leave the room,end of.

Mark
CBF Alpha/Beta Test Pilot

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

IL2 Messerschmitt 109 ace

Holder of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves,Swords and Diamonds.

Re:An apology 5 years 7 months ago #25264

• dhasdell
  • Thank you received: 1
I've not been contributing much, but I look in regularly and I'm another with nothing but praise for the site and for Leif. No-one forces people to visit, and if they don't like what's here they can go elsewhere.

Happy New Year if it's not too late, and Happy Kings' Day if it is!

David H.
Rats! Why won't anything work properly first time?
  • Page: