Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Is There a Limit?

Is There a Limit? 5 years 2 months ago #28577

I'm relatively new here - this is only my second post and I'm also relatively new to Flight Sim (I only purchased FS 2004 about a month ago and I still can't get the landings right yet!) so I apologise if this question has been asked before. Being me, if I see an aeroplane that I fancy flying - I download it. I've got a fair few now. So far the only downside of having so many is that it slows down the loading of the programme.

I was wondering if there was limit as to how many aeroplanes you could install in the programme?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Is There a Limit? 5 years 2 months ago #28579

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
The only limit is the physical amount of memory your computer has. However the more aircraft and scenery you add the slower the program runs.

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re:Is There a Limit? 5 years 2 months ago #28586

• Miggers
  • Thank you received: 1
Ask me how many kites I have in mine Don :lol: (answer:about 380)

I've been flying for around four years now,and I can't get landings right either.

Mine tend to be "aircraft carrier" style,unless it's a piston fighter I'm in.

Mark
CBF Alpha/Beta Test Pilot

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

IL2 Messerschmitt 109 ace

Holder of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves,Swords and Diamonds.

Re:Is There a Limit? 5 years 2 months ago #28587

• dhasdell
  • Thank you received: 1
Unlike CFS2 there is no limit on numbers, but as you have spotted the more you have the longer it takes to load. A way round this might be Martin Wright's AcMan, which lets you store rarely used types in a separate folder. I haven't tried it in FS9 myself, and a possible drawback would be if you aliased something to a type which you then moved to the hangar folder.

David H.
Rats! Why won't anything work properly first time?
Last Edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by dhasdell.

Re:Is There a Limit? 5 years 2 months ago #28593

Hi Don and welcome.
I realised very early that the number of aircraft I had added to FS was going to slow down the load time. My solution was to create several 'aircraft' files and name them 'aircraft1', 'aircraft2',etc. I grouped similar types into one file eg WW2 types, WW1 types, Pre-WW2 civil types, Pre-WW2 military types, etc, etc. I have about 17 different files totalling several thousand types! All I do is change the 'aircraft' file name eg 'aircraft2' becomes just 'aircraft'. Then I run FS with the type I want to fly (or paint!). By the way when creating each 'aircraft file' it pays to add all the default aircraft to the file first. Hope this helps.

cheers, Peter Watkins
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by peterwatkins2.

Re:Is There a Limit? 5 years 1 month ago #28931

• jinx
:) I have a similar solution to Peter Watkins's one:

I make HANGAR folders in another drive, and name them according to Categories I can think of, such as RAF POSTWAR, GA SINGLE ENG, FAA POSTWAR, TWIN TUBROPROP REGIONALS, BRIT CLASSICS, JETLINERS LR (LONG RANGE), JETLINERS MR (MEDIUM RANGE), PROPLINERS LR AND SR AND MR, etc etc. And I move them into these hangars through cut\paste and back into the aircraft folder thru the same method, cut\paste and fly them. Some I put on to disc and call them from there. I usually put all the gauges files in the panel folders and also keep any effects files in the indiviidual Aircraft folder, so when it comes back to the sim I can reinstall the effects, in case of a new install that was later than the one of the hangar a/c FOLDER in question.

Peter: Thanks for your wonderful Aiglet and Alpine repaints--I have installed all I could find and flown them a lot. I would like to do also, so pm me if you have any psd files I can use as an aid, and if that is no problem.

:) :)

Re:Is There a Limit? 5 years 3 weeks ago #29239

I do the same thing. I keep a ' Ramp' folder in documents. I leave the gauges and effects in the sim, but only keep my favorite fliers in the sim, and the less-utilized models in the Ramp folder.The down side to moving models in and out is it can force the sim to keep rewriting the config file, and dumping your settings. It can also lead to a newly installed model getting scattered between the folders in event of a sim fatal error, but it keeps load times down.