Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sea Hornet help!

Sea Hornet help! 5 years 3 weeks ago #29247

Great model, except I must have forgotten how to fly props. Starts OK starts to take off then engines start failing, catch fire and bonk! I presume my throttle/pitch/mixture is wrong. I've tried several combinations and won't go. i have had to reboot FSX each time as it remembers.

I guess there isn't a manual?

FSX Acceleration, 64 bit Win 7

Thanks for any help1 Mike
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Sea Hornet help! 5 years 3 weeks ago #29248

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Mike

Couple of things

1/. Yes there is a set of Dh Hornet Pilots notes in the library here courtesy of Dave Jerram.

2/. Might I suggest you disable the "Engine stress damage" box in FSX - in the realism section

It seems folks have a habit of overboosting the engine on takeoff.....if you really must have the level of realism
if you follow the pilots notes on care and feeding of Merlins you should be able to fly it ok (I have flown with it on
and managed to fly the pattern at Culdrose successfully several times. ;)

Glad you like Robs offering stick around - the prettier sister will be along soon.

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>
Last Edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by LeifH.

Re:Sea Hornet help! 5 years 3 weeks ago #29249

Sorry your having trouble with the engine settings on the Sea Hornet.
We decided to use the detonation system in FSX for a bit of realism as the real aircraft did not use full power on takeoff, less than 80% as I understand it, we copied the settings straight out of the P 51 Racer and de-tuned the power from over 3000HP!!! down to 2030HP, and it needs VERY careful handling on takeoff, but I can see it was a mistake to use these settings as it spoils the enjoyment of a casual flight if, Like me, you don't read the pilots notes!
The fix is a simple one, just go to the aircraft cfg. file and delete this line....'detonation_onset =80.0000', that's under the [piston_engine] section and that will solve the problem.
I wont include those settings in the single seat Hornet, which should be out in a few weeks.

Rob Richardson

Re:Sea Hornet help! 5 years 3 weeks ago #29251

Read those pilots notes if you use max realisim, I guess is the subtext here. I fly at max realisim, 'cos I want to pop an engine if I over boost. Not a lick of trouble with the Hornets settings. My trouble is keeping her under critical mach when bouncing helpless A320's . Get this bugger wound up running down hill, and forget to watch the VSI gets my arse in a crack every time. Ah, target fixation....

Re:Sea Hornet help! 5 years 2 weeks ago #29456

Rob, thanks. sorry late getting back. At the moment i've been running with engine stress damages off. I do like realism and have all set max, but can't seem to get the power right otherwise - just got the F20 and will try that. I won't give up yet though, have been reading the pilot's notes bur maybe missed something!

Cheers, Mike

Re:Sea Hornet help! 5 years 2 weeks ago #29458

Yep I'd like to add my thanks for a wonderful set of planes - still trying to get the NF in the air with full realism - turningthe detonation off seems like cheating so will persist!

cheers again

Geester

Re: Sea Hornet help! 5 years 1 week ago #29472

Rob and all,

And the good news is . . .I've got it too work with detonation left in. Much reading of pilot's notes and some few tries later. Tried different tanks, crossflows and boosters, still crunched (boost never over the green). Then started playing with the propellor controls, gradually cutting,didn't blow but not enough speed to take-off/maintain height. Finally read notes again and tried propellor controls back through the gate (not visible?) to 0% then back up to 90% (as per notes also arms the fire warning), boost to boost just into the green and lo! all was well. Gear up, flaps up and within short time at severa thousand feet and 300 knots plus. Its definitely a RTFM job!.

Thanks again Rob, time to try the F20.

And for my next trick . . I've got the Nimitz awaiting in the North Sea . . . :laugh:

Cheers, Mike

Re:Sea Hornet help! 5 years 1 week ago #29478

• Miggers
  • Thank you received: 1
3/7charlie wrote:
Read those pilots notes if you use max realisim, I guess is the subtext here. I fly at max realisim, 'cos I want to pop an engine if I over boost. Not a lick of trouble with the Hornets settings. My trouble is keeping her under critical mach when bouncing helpless A320's . Get this bugger wound up running down hill, and forget to watch the VSI gets my arse in a crack every time. Ah, target fixation....

You ought to try it in a Spiteful or Seafang then:evil: .
Never use emergency boost and 3000 revs with the nose even remotely pointing downhill,
the speed pick up is frighteningly fast,ask Leif.

I can't use the Hornets(not on FSX),so I haven't seen the boost gauges,but with a 60/70 series
Merlin engined Spit,+8 and 3000revs is more than enough to get off and climbing smartly.
With half full tanks,I only use +4 to +6 and 2650 rpm to fly a display.

A Griffon 65 doesn't boost or rev as much as a Merlin,+6 @2850 is enough to get off,+2 to +4
at 2400 gives plenty of "waft" for a spirited display(Real Air XIV)

Mark
CBF Alpha/Beta Test Pilot

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

IL2 Messerschmitt 109 ace

Holder of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves,Swords and Diamonds.

Re:Sea Hornet help! 5 years 1 week ago #29480

• Miggers
Miggers wrote:
3/7charlie wrote:

You ought to try it in a Spiteful or Seafang then:evil: .
Never use emergency boost and 3000 revs with the nose even remotely pointing downhill,
the speed pick up is frighteningly fast,ask Leif.

I can't use the Hornets(not on FSX),so I haven't seen the boost gauges,but with a 60/70 series
Merlin engined Spit,+8 and 3000revs is more than enough to get off and climbing smartly.
With half full tanks,I only use +4 to +6 and 2650 rpm to fly a display.

A Griffon 65 doesn't boost or rev as much as a Merlin,+6 @2850 is enough to get off,+2 to +4
at 2400 gives plenty of "waft" for a spirited display(Real Air XIV).

Ooh and another thought with the Hornet's Merlins,one of the type of carbs fitted to 'em
had to have something to do with the boost set at the correct position for take off,otherwise
shoving 'em "through the gate" for full boost would cause the engines to cut out whilst
belting down the runway.
I can't just remember what it is at the mo,but I'm sure it was something with Packard built Merlins that was carried over onto later Rolls built engines.
Might be something to do with "pulling the tit".

What I do know is that you should be performing pre-take off engine checks when the oil temps
are at a minimum of 20 degrees C and coolant at a min of 40 degrees C.
Run each engine up slowly to 0 boost,then exercise the prop CSU's and do your mag checks.
No more than 150 rpm drop per side on the mags.

Mark

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

Re: Sea Hornet help! 5 years 1 week ago #29488

Well I spoke too soon. After a couple of good takeoffs and climb/cruise I rebooted and it wont go again. With engine stress off can just about take off but with it on, (in both cases just in the green and about 3,500 rpm) it loses power just over 100 knots to 115 or so and thats it. Back to the notes . .

Rgds, Mike

Re: Sea Hornet help! 5 years 1 week ago #29508

• Miggers
birdmanmike wrote:
Well I spoke too soon. After a couple of good takeoffs and climb/cruise I rebooted and it wont go again. With engine stress off can just about take off but with it on, (in both cases just in the green and about 3,500 rpm) it loses power just over 100 knots to 115 or so and thats it. Back to the notes . .

Rgds, Mike

3500revs!!!

Clucking Bell,what are those CSU's doing?
Sounds like you're getting runaway props there.

Mark

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

Re: Sea Hornet help! 5 years 1 week ago #29512

yeh I read what you said earlier, but anything less i don't seem to get even 100 knots? I'll take it in various steps and propellor control settings and see . . .

Thanks, Mike

Re: Sea Hornet help! 5 years 1 week ago #29514

• Miggers
I'll download the notes and have a look Mike.

3500 revs sounds a helluva lot.

The Merlin engined types I fly(Lanc,Spit,Hurri,Mossie,P40 and P51D/K series)
rev to 3000.
It could be that the Hornet revved that bit more because of the "handed"
engines and propellers,though the P38 with it's handed Allisons doesn't
rev that hard,but then again you don't have 2000-odd 'osses a side
with it either.

Mark

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

Re: Sea Hornet help! 5 years 1 week ago #29525

• Keith Paine
  • Thank you received: 4
Check your aircraft.cfg file and see if the turbocharged=1, not 0. Not really necessary for accelleration I believe though.
Keith
Upside Down In Cloud.....

Re: Sea Hornet help! 5 years 1 week ago #29526

• Miggers
Something fishy here.
Just read the pilot's notes.

T/O power is +12 boost at 3000rpm.

Where are you getting "in the green" and 3500 rpm from Mike?

Max rate of climb is 155kts using +12 @2850,more economical climb is 160kts using
+9 @2650.

The prop levers control the revs from a max of 3000 down to 1500,the throttles are
"gated" at +18 boost,so going through the gate probably gives about +25lbs boost,
i.e,emergency power.

As I suspected,the carbs are S.U injector types giving best cruise at or below +9 boost
@2650.

Are you taking off at max TOW all the time Mike?,if so reduce your fuel down to half tanks
and see if you can get off using +12 and 3000 revs.

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot