Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Download Problem

Download Problem 4 years 8 months ago #31360

I have just found your wonderful site, thanks for it. ! have registered and am having problems downloading.

When I try and download the Auster J1 for FSX the download appears to be successful but when I try and open the zip file I am told it is not a valid file. On checking it appears that the full file has not downloaded after several attempts it can be anything from 12Mg to 25Mg in size but the file should be 33.7Mg.
On trying other file downloads from your site I get the same problem. :(

My line speed is reasonably slow but I have never had this problem at any other site with downloading files of any size.

At the top of the J1 download page I see this message--
You have downloaded this file 0 times in the last 24 hours, limit is 0.
Your file downloads total 0 in the last 24 hours, limit is 0.
It may or may not mean anything.

Thanks for your help in advance,
John
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Download Problem 4 years 8 months ago #31362

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Sorry your having problems

It is the speed that causes this

If you want Dave Garwoods Auster you may also try www.cbfsim.org
its available in their library

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31395

Thanks Leif got the file in one go from cbfsim.org. It's a pity this site cannot give a service to people with slow connect speeds. :)

I have never had this problem in more than 14 years of downloading from many many sites everywhere, (1000s). :(

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31396

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Frankly its a problem which has befuddled Rob English (Our gracious host) and myself for a while -- He has considered moving to a another server but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to those who can download and those who cant.

In the meantime - if there is anything that catches your eye here that you cant download give me a whistle and I WILL get it to you one way or the other.

Cheers

Leif

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31398

• Keith Paine
  • Thank you received: 4
I have this problem in France - I think its to do with the time of day & it seems to be one of the nodes that the lines go through. I have problems in the morning about 0900 CET & at about 1700 to 1800 CET. Outside of those times I can normally download things OK. I have only a 1 Mb connection.
Keith
Upside Down In Cloud.....

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31816

I'm having the same download problem with the Chilton DW1A. Tried several times at different times of the day and can't get the complete .zip file.

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31818

• OleBoy
If it helps, I've tried several times to download here while using Firefox. Each time I get the file, it's corrupted. I tried Internet Explorer and, it works every time for me here in the USA

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31819

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
thanks Don

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31823

As I've been educating myself on this because of the on-and-off problems the FSAirlines website has been having no matter what we do, here's a couple of things I've found -

1) 3rd part DNS servers are not always the answer (OpenDNS, GoogleDNS, etc) and can actually slow down your connection and those of others.

2) DNS servers are the biggest slowdown. Depending on what your Internet provider uses as default, you may or may need to use the 3rd party servers listed above. BUT DO A SPEED TEST ONLINE FIRST TO FIND OUT.

3) Your location has a lot to do with how fast of a connection you can get, regardless of what your ISP tells you your speeds are. If you are in a more remote part of your country, your access will slow down more during high traffic times because there are fewer ways "out" of your area and into the trunk lines. Thus, if your feeders bog down, you're out of luck because your modem can't get anything better.

4) If your connection gets dropped, it can actually be both ends. Your ISP could drop you if the restriction is between the ISP server and your computer and the webserver can drop you if the restriction is between the ISP and it. So there's not always a lot the server can do about it because it can only work with what it receives. If certain guidelines are met that indicates a connection is too restricted, it has to drop it or it will crash the server.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Paine, T6flyer

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31850

I tried again to download the Chilton DW1A. No joy with Firefox or with IE so I tried downloading the DW1 with Firefox and it worked fine. The .zip file sizes are similar and the download speeds shown by my browser were similar. It seems to be a problem with the DW1A .zip file, not with browsers or ISPs. Has anyone at Classic British Files tested the .zip file?

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31851

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Yes we did
but if you give me a minute I will try again

Leif

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31852

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
http://www.sendspace.com/file/52r8t9

Here you go Smoky

We aim to please :)

Leif

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31856

Thanks Leif. Used the link you provided and downloaded with no problem.

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31857

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Pleasure Mate

It had a little bonus in it ;;)

Leif

Re: Download Problem 4 years 7 months ago #31875

Been trying to download Aeromusica DH Comet 2-3 file ca65f25dcomet_2_3_sound.zip on page 3 of your Sound in library. Four attempts at about 50KB/Sec usingFirefox. Checked this thread, so had another try using IE, which gave about 40 KB/Sec. All attempts failed at 15 to 19 Mbs.
Same period have downloaded Auksp-Kemble 2006 (9.36 MB ) , no trouble.
Any help/advice would be very very much appreciated. Regards, Roy Thr.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by royth. Reason: Type error.