Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Just how light is an Auster?

Just how light is an Auster? 4 years 6 months ago #32610

• Miggers
  • Thank you received: 1
This lovely seems to know:

www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/404263...t-72157618945341484/

Click around on that album,there's some superb wartime shots.

Mark
CBF Alpha/Beta Test Pilot

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

IL2 Messerschmitt 109 ace

Holder of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves,Swords and Diamonds.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Just how light is an Auster? 4 years 6 months ago #32611

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
I dont know wether Dave can confirm this but I have sneaky feeling that photo was taken at Ratcliffe

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Just how light is an Auster? 4 years 6 months ago #32612

• Molyned
  • Thank you received: 6
Either Ratcliffe but more likely Rearsby Leif - she looks like a gel out of the office (who did weight -lifting as a past-time ;) )
There are a few shots of a line-up of similar Mk4's (MS934) outside the Rearsby hangars awaiting collection.
Note the pitch-trim 'ears' below the tailplane - thay changed over to elevator trim-tabs for the MK5 and on.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Molyned.

Re: Just how light is an Auster? 4 years 6 months ago #32613

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
I wasn't sure about when they moved over

I remember the shots of the Mk5s parked along side the "Tudor" Hangar -- Never seen a colour one before
That lass looks like she might be able to put a few pints down with the lads from the production line .

Although the first Missus used to pick up a J3 by the tail and haul it around and she was all of 5 feet 90 pounds soaking wet.

Just had a look through that lots -- its a real gold mine - including the really odd paint scheme on the Cabot Class flying boat.....Great stuff Mark _ I wonder if they would mind us linking to it??

Leif

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by LeifH.

Re: Just how light is an Auster? 4 years 6 months ago #32614

• Molyned
  • Thank you received: 6
Just altered it to a MK4 - checked on the serial number of the one in the background :) .
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

Re: Just how light is an Auster? 4 years 6 months ago #32655

Found another photo from the same day and the lady in question is Moira Robertson who worked for Austers as an expeditor of parts required for the repair of Hurricanes and Typhoons. The airframe is Mk.4 MT225. This had the c/n 816 and after use by 659 Squadron was struck off charge on the 5 November 1947. Hope it wasn't burnt on that day!!!

Martin
Attachments:

Re: Just how light is an Auster? 4 years 6 months ago #32661

Went down to my local flying club today for lunch (too windy to go flying) and someone there had bought in a box full of old wartime newspaper cuttings. Having a little look through, I came across of all things another photo of the said lady holding up the rear section of the Auster. This again, is taken from a different angle and shows more of the fin and rudder than the earlier examples.

The caption reads - "The Auster IV, the tiny plane now being used as an Army Co-operation machine on most fronts, is expected to be in great demand as a family plane in the post-war years. A girl demonstrating the lightness of the machine by lifting the tail off the ground".

Martin