Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Repainter, now with new test images!

Repainter, now with new test images! 4 years 5 months ago #32899

Fisrt of all, let me say that I am a big fan of the site -- the aircraft and repaints here have provided me with no end of entertainment -- and more than a little nostalgia (I have flown several times on Austin Airways/Air Ontario HS748 C-GGNZ, as provided in thehappyotter's packages). I am also an avid repainter, having several of my non-British repaints posted, for example, at the Captain Sim site (CF-104s in several schemes).

I was referred here, and ultimately decided to post, as I am looking for a repaint kit for David Maltby's incredible FS9 VC-10. I am in the process of a project which involves a "what-if" Air Canada and CP Air where British equipment was favoured over American; so far I have 99% completed a circa-1972 Air Canada Trident 2, with just some tweaking remaining around the nose area, and have begun the CP Air end of things. Last year I did a fictional Canadian Forces "CC-110" C.1K from scratch (pics to come once I reinstall the C.1K), but it would be much easier if I had a Trident- or One-Eleven-style paintkit from which to work.

As an example of where I am right now I have attached a pic of my current 1972-ish Trident 2 (requiring minor tweaking):
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Rallymodeller.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32900

Hi Rallymodeller

All the real world subject are already covered with the VC 10. For that reason no repaint kit has ever been released.

Garry

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32903

This post SO made my day!!

Welcome (from a newbie too) - as a Canuck, I had to at least pipe in. Absolutely fascinated by what you're contemplating. I used to fly in dc-8s, 727s, and 747's in that lovely orange/silver CP scheme during the 70's as a kid - nostalgic and very interesting period. For my part, I'd totally enjoy seeing any of the superb Maltby models so attired.

Likewise, a late RCAF or early CAF period c/K model VC-10 would be quite credible as a CC-137 alternative.

We got our CC-137s in 1970, so there's a bit of natual overlap with the VC-10. Who knows, if either AC, CP or the RCAF/CF ordered this model, it might not have been as financially exposed, and the cost-per-unit economics might have made it more viable overall?

Looking forward to your efforts with great interest - thanks!!

Daniel
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32914

Ask and ye shall receive! I reloaded the C.1K today and dug out my old CC(K)-110 scratch repaint; I'm not 100% happy with it therefore I have not offered it anywhere.

Attachment CC-110.jpg not found

However, Mr. Maltby came through today and emailed me a paintkit of sorts: some of the base textures he used (including all three fuselage variants). Along with that came his blessing to upload repaint packs, so I will be submitting them as they are completed. The CC-110 is second on my repaint list, after completing the one I am currently working on (CP Air Super VC-10 "Empress of Brooklands" circa 1973, complete with natural metal!) No pics of that one yet, I only have the fuselage, tail and the bottom of the wings more or less done.

As I previously mentioned, this is part of a larger project that will see the Trident, One-Eleven and VC-10 in appropriate Canadian civil colours as if American equipment was never purchased.

Thanks for the kind words!

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32922

Fantastic!

I always felt the CC-137 scheme was attractive, and certainly no one (least of all here!) would debate the attractiveness of the VC-10 ... the combination is outstanding.

Your CP scheme sounds superb. "Brooklands" huh? :) Is that negotiable? Just kidding. I think the scheme lends itself well to rear engine planes, as the visual "weight" of that configuration grows rearward, and meshes well with how that downward/rearward sloping orange top. Looking forward to this and anything else you do, especially if there's a Trident involved too.

Have a super day!

Daniel

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32925

OK, test shot of the "Brooklands" from FS Painter.

Attachment CP73Screenshotv2.jpg not found

Mainly chose "Brooklands 'caue that's where she's from...

Just have to correct a misalignment issue with the fuselage striping (they don't line up on top of the fuselage, out by three pixels or so) and I think I'm going to move the "CP Air" titles lower and further forward on the nose.

Comments? Issues?

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32927

Yes - it looks great - even better than how I imagined. Looking forward to these.

Many thanks!

dl

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32928

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Gents

they are very nice

But they are fictional

We have tried very very hard (with a couple of very minor exceptions) NOT to play the "what if" game.

Please if you feel the need to show fictional repaints do so elsewhere.

And if you think I am being hard nosed, try posting them at Classic British Flight Sim and watch the

reaction.

Thank you
The Admin Staff
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by LeifH.

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32930

Bummer - I had no idea. I didn't request anything of the guy - he posted something I find interesting, and I encouraged his work. Sad, really - but will respect the rules.

Jeremy - I've pm'ed you for contact details.

D
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by delta_lima.

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32931

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
DL and Jeremy

I thank you

They are indeed very beautiful paints, but not our cup of tea, If you had seen the debate when Someone asked Peter Watkins to repaint the JF Mosquito in 633 Squadron markings.....In the end the decision was made that they were RAF Mosquitos and they were painted and flown like that for the movie.

Leif

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32932

• JDT73
  • FS9 Eejit
Rallymodeller,

could you at least point me in the direction of were these repaints might end up when completed, would appreciate that very much.

Jamie
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by JDT73.

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32937

• Miggers
  • Thank you received: 1
LeifH wrote:
Gents

they are very nice

But they are fictional

We have tried very very hard (with a couple of very minor exceptions) NOT to play the "what if" game.

Please if you feel the need to show fictional repaints do so elsewhere.

And if you think I am being hard nosed, try posting them at Classic British Flight Sim and watch the

reaction.

Thank you
The Admin Staff

Could I too thank you for respecting this chaps.

Captain Maltby is a little more "relaxed" than Sir Piper,but I remember Rick Piper's answer
when someone asked about a 748 repaint a few years ago,trust me,it's quite unprintable here.

Many thanks.

Another of the Admin Crew.
CBF Alpha/Beta Test Pilot

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

IL2 Messerschmitt 109 ace

Holder of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves,Swords and Diamonds.

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32938

I apologize if I offended; as a long-time forum moderator myself I can respect the "your house, your rules" aspect. I had assumed that as a British aircraft it would be OK but that's my fault for not looking deeper into the past of the forum and for that I accept responsibility.

That being said, I myself certainly will still enjoy the site, and in the near future will upload some real-world aircraft to possibly smooth over my somewhat rough introduction here. After all, there are a lot of real life planes out there that haven't been done yet...

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32941

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Thank you for your understanding Jeremy.

We take pains to get it right, (by the way the Emil looks the dogs) and, your paints are spectacular, however as we are third party hosts to messrs Piper and Maltbys wonderful toys I would not wish to annoy them.
Personally I think that the Trident and the VC10 SHOULD have joined the likes of The Viscount and Vanguard in Canada - having spent four years as a child, I have some affinity for it, (My father worked on Velvet Glove at Cardi and at Cold Lake). We do not wish to appear stuffy, but it would open a door which is better off left closed.

Leif

Re: Repainter, long time lurker, first time poster... 4 years 5 months ago #32989

And the difference between these and the VA schemes shown and hosted on this site????

If My Lord Malby lets folk have a paintkit, what do you expect them to do with it.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. Just a thought. (Abe Lincoln)
  • Page: