Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Download issues

Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33170

Hi -
I have been trying for two days to download the Valiant upgrade. On a couple of occasions the download cut out, on several others it appeared to finish delivering a full-sized file but the zip showed as corrupted.
I see this was mentioned in another thread, now locked, hence this new post.
I've been out of FS for a while and just getting back, having got a new computer and new ISP in the meantime. However, I also had issues with D/Ls from this site previously (and still have a few saved zips which are "corrupted").
The earlier D/Ls were either with my old ISP, or sometimes on my work computer.
From the other thread, it appears the suggested issues were with the user ISP. With the best will in the world, I have to say I've downloaded other and larger files with no problems from most other sites. The issues seem to arise more often here and one or two other sites. Since as I said I have gone through three different ISPs (counting work) and three or more different PCs, the common factor seems to be either this site, or else bad reception in my part of the world (are other Aussies or South Aussies having issues?).
I don't intend this to be a whine about the superb collection of work found here, or the generosity of all involved. I have had successful downloads from this site of some magnificent work, among the failures, though sometimes it takes many attempts and in the case of the Valiant, seems doomed to failure. But I do wonder, not being a website tech-head, if there is any special factor which makes this awkward performance more common from this site.
But when I can get a download, it's very, very good!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33171

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
John watch this space I will put a sendspace link here for you in a couple of hours
I am away from home right now

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33173

Thanks for the quick reply, Leif. Having tried D/L in a few environments I was left wondering if it was something local - wattle getting in the cables or something!

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33176

John, and everyone else who has issues downloading.

There is a problem with this site that makes it more common than others, but I'm buggered if I can work out what it is!

If anyone has the technical knowledge to work out what it could be then feel free to offer to help. I'm not an IT guru and work shifts so rarely have time to sit and bug fix. This is an enthusiast run site, not a business which can afford to be perfect.

I'm as baffled as everyone else!

It's driving me nuts!!!

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33177

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
www.sendspace.com/file/emtbef

as promised John, the Valiant upgrade

Leif

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33178

Leif - wonderful! I'm glad I got up for a midnight snack and checked my mail! Downloaded fine, but it'll have to wait til morning for me to play with it.
Yes, I'm sure it's a worry. It's been a while now but I think one other site I had similar issues with was one which provided D/Ls of UK sceneries. Wondered if issues coming from any region or just all over. Not that I have any clue!
Thanks for getting onto this so quickly.

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33180

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Actually the host is American not English -- but it seems that there is a problem when people access from slower servers...the file I sent you I downloaded from our library in less than one...but then again living in Las Vegas I have access to very very high speed wireless....

Leif

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33182

• Keith Paine
  • Thank you received: 4
Maybe a clue there Leif - I usually get my cleanest D/Ls when the USA is ( or should be) asleep!
Keith
Upside Down In Cloud.....

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33184

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
its a good point Keith

Traffic levels

Leif

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33185

Maybe. Just tried a couple of downloads which both came down corrupted - not terribly big, around 5mb each - but it seems like it must be Sunday evening in the US, when folk might settle down at home and go online.
My recent D/Ls from this site which succeeded have included varying sizes, up to about 12 mb, which worked; can't recall timing but probably some were during US "awake" hours. Those which recently failed were any size form a few Mb to the likes of the Valiant, and have been mostly US late morning/afternoon/evening. I'll try some this evening when all but the US night-owls should be resting up for tomorrow (or today, here).
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by johnfromoz. Reason: Detail

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33186

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
John

I do know there is a lot of traffic currently , I am surprised you could not even download small packages,
the valiant I pulled down this morning (about noon Eastern time) in just under a minute.....Its really strange
Rob English (our gracious host) is the middle of the UK and has no problems - Keith is less than 250 miles away in france and has difficulties - Im in Vegas as I said and we have a member who lives about one hundred or so miles sw in the middle of the Mohave desert who has the same problems as you do, The upshot is simple, anything that you try repeatedly to get and fail I will be happy to put on sendspace and post here, however we have even had people who were unable to pull down 30mb files from there. The only thing that drives me up the wall, is people who post repeatedly here and elsewhere that we are delivering "corrupt" files....the only thing corrupt about them is they did not get a complete download. It makes us sound as if we do not give a rats about what we hand out to people , and NOTHING could be further from the truth.

By the way the reason the thread was locked was for that precise reason , the person in question kept on and on and on about it, yes we know there is a problem, yes we will help, but its freeware for gods sake, it costs you nothing, I am more concerned about the developers who spend long hours making these wonderful files only to be accused of handing out corrupt files as if it was done malicously.

Sorry I will get off my soap box now

Leif
(one of the admin staff)

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33187

I'll get to the bottom of it, eventually!

Bloody computamabobs!

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33188

Thanks all - merely trying to clarify, and offering if any testing was wanted. Kind offer, Leif, but I'll wait, rather than load you for special download setups!
I'll leave you to it!
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by johnfromoz.

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33261

• DanKH
  • Who's General Failure, and why's he reading my HDD
Hi just had the same issue with th A300B4 (civil) 44mb ... download a couple of mb, and then quits.

ATB.

DanKH
Best regards
Dan

Re: Download issues 4 years 5 months ago #33262

• DanKH
  • Who's General Failure, and why's he reading my HDD
A quick follow up...

First I tried without logging in, which resulted in 2 mb

Secondly I tried after logging in, which resulted in 16 mb ...

Maybe something to consider?
Best regards
Dan

Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by DanKH. Reason: typo