Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Meteor NF14 ATC call mod and sound question

Meteor NF14 ATC call mod and sound question 4 years 4 months ago #33527

• jinx
:) I made a small change to the wonderful Robert Richardson Meteor NF14 to correct the way ATC calls the aircraft when you request transition through airspace, and at other instances as well.

You need to change the corresponding entries of the Aircraft.cfg --the 3 section within brackets as shown below:

[fltsim.0]

atc_id=
atc_airline=AIR FORCE
atc_flight_number=WS844

[fltsim.1]

atc_id=
atc_airline=AIR FORCE
atc_flight_number=WS782

[General]
atc_type =GLOSTER
atc_heavy=0
atc_model=METEOR
=======

Then, when you request transition over airspace, ATC will say for your part:

Air Force (xxx serial number of the a/c you fly eg.: WS844) is type Gloster

That is an improvement over the original. Unfortunately, ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH cannot be called out by FSX, so Gloster is the next best alternative. That is okay by me as the Meteor was more widely known as a Gloster product.

;) If you make the change, back up your original a/c cfg first to see how you like it. Similar changes can be made to any repaints you install.

The [General] section remains the same for all entries of all skins--you only need to change that section once.

B) The FSX Meteor has a nice sound too, though I wonder what that second sound folder named "SoundXXX" is about--does it contribute anything or can it be deleted?

I was very happy to have this NF14, as many years ago I won the first prize in a plastic kit competition (IPS-Greece Nationals in Athens, Greece, the top annual modelling event here) with 6 Meteor models of various subtypes of the NF (11, 12, 14) made from the 1/72nd Matchbox kit and using Modeldecal transfers (decals). The repaints do include some of the schemes I made in plastic at the time, and the models still grace my modelling case at home.

Best Regards

Nick from Athens, Greece
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by jinx.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeifH

Re: Meteor NF14 ATC call mod and sound question 4 years 4 months ago #33529

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
thanks for the changes Nick

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Meteor NF14 ATC call mod and sound question 4 years 4 months ago #33532

• Fors
  • Thank you received: 1
"ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH" is available in Edit Voicepack as a standard modification.
(If it works with FSX I donĀ“t know)

Lars F

Re: Meteor NF14 ATC call mod and sound question 4 years 4 months ago #33546

• jinx
Thanks fellows.

I also thought of EditVoicePack, which I have installed in fs9, but I wonder if it can be installed in FSX or if one can at least move the sound file it creates to FSX. Does anyone know more about this matter?

Peter Watkins has done a great job with th4 repaints--thanks Peter.

Nick
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterwatkins2

Re: Meteor NF14 ATC call mod and sound question 4 years 4 months ago #33549

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Nick there is a Editvoicepack fro FSX works like a charm and yes AW can be added

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Meteor NF14 ATC call mod and sound question 4 years 4 months ago #33557

• jinx
Leif,

Many thanks-- I did not know that and will install it this evening.:)

I have flown all of the NF14 repaints of Peter Watkins, and he has done a great job and I intend to email him and thank him.

:cheer: The paint schemes of the Meteors (F.8's too) represent one of the my favourite and also one of the best eras in the history of RAF camouflage and markings, and its constituent elements (squadron colour bars flanking the roundel, code letters on fin and serials under wing and sometimes squadron colours or motifs repeated on the fin) are elements that have been in widespread use for many years in the Royal Air Force, in one form or another, whatever the basic scheme was --camo or not). They are even visible in aircraft of the 80's and have continued into the present day. This shows that the RAF is very much a traditionalist service and that is, in my opinion, a great virtue in our changing world where many things do not last long. I have written articles on these schemes in Greek aviation magazines and have talked to many people about them, including Richard Ward of Modeldecal fame, gathering as much information as I could. I have even posted articles on the subject in forums, with scanned colour profiles, for another sim, as many people, especially Americans, did not have the foggiest about RAF colours and markings. My obsession with the period is so strong that I even went to the extent of making fictitious repaints with squadron bars from the 30's. If you search my name at flghtsim com (Nick Tselepides ) you will see some --perhaps also at avsim).

Thanks again to all for your feedback.

Nick
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by jinx.