Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon.

Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 2 months ago #34133

Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by robcarrich. Reason: to add pic.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew, shackair

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 2 months ago #34136

• Keith Paine
  • Thank you received: 4
Coo ---- That should bring on the tinitus!!! along with the formation flying rivets..... Can you add the Elsan odour too?
Why do Avro's have problems with rivets - the original was the Annie!
Keith
Upside Down In Cloud.....

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 2 months ago #34137

Very Nice

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 2 months ago #34138

Gary has left us with a beautiful contra prop Griffon sound set!
With head phones and the volume up I'm in Shackleton heaven!

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 2 months ago #34139

I might have found a very useful contact for you Rob! The thread about Gary's Shackleton sounds over at the Outhouse got a reply from one of the team maintaining WR963 up at Coventry - I know it's a Mark 2, but I'm he could have some valuable insights. Anyway, I've pointed him in this direction, so hopefully he'll pop up here as well.

On a related note; we've had a couple of posts about the Shack, and how people were finding the fixes/updates here difficult to compile - personally I thought they were fine, as long as you follow the instructions carefully. However, one guy was having so many problems that I zipped everything up (including Gary's new sounds) and sent it to him. So I now have a 47mb zipfile, already fully updated and split into the 2 Shackleton marks, sat on my PC. Would it be useful if I uploaded it here; if mot, would you have any objections to me uploading it over at the Outhouse. (Sorry to thread hijack Rob).

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 2 months ago #34167

• Woods
Hi! I'm Rich Woods, I'm one of the team at Coventry keeping Avro Shackleton WR963 growling healthily. Its becoming an ever harder task, as there's not that many parts out there for Shack's any more. '963 is the last one still running at the moment anywhere in the world so we're quite proud of her, in that she's managed 20 years in retirement.

I wandered onto the internet looking for a sim version of the Shackleton, as CAA rules mean ours won't fly. I got some great help from people who didn't even know I existed... so figured I'd offer my help in return. I'm pretty useless with a computer - but I do have access to a real live running Shackleton. That means you guys can have access too - for recording on engine runs (the next is the 9th July 2011) or for taking photo's to create panels. Hopefully in a few days I'll be starting virtual Griffons, and my curiousity is already rising wondering if they're going to be as cantankerous to coax into life as the real thing!

We also have all the factory drawings for the Shackleton, for all marks, MR1, MR2, MR3, AEW2, T4. We have manuals for assemblies, performance data, C of G info, and a whole load of other bits. If I can help in any way just let me know, and I'll do my best. Even if it's just that you want to come sit in '963 one Saturday to see how heavy the controls are.

Kind regards,

Rich Woods
Shackleton Preservation Trust
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Woods.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34175

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Welcome Rich
Im glad you found us ok (I was the one who left the trail of breadcrumbs). Rob should be along after a while and thank you for your kind offer, Im sure you have already seen Robs preliminary screenies of his WIP of the Mk3a. So we appriecate any and all offers of help here. By the way give us your website and we will happily link to it from here for our regular readers.

Cheers

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34178

• Woods
Thanks!

I've had a look at Robs screenshots, and a couple of other aircraft that are our neighbours at Coventry (like the Twin Pioneer).

For those interestd our website is:

www.shackleton963.co.uk

It is in its infancy though, so don't expect miracles! We have a long running thread going on Flypast magazine's forum detailing the work done on the aircraft as it was a great way prior to the website to get information out to enthusiasts. We put a lot of pictures and stuff up there. Link for that is:

forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=102256

Kind regards,

Rich

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34181

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Thanks Rich
I will put them up on our links page

Glad you like Robs Twin Pin, Its a favorite of mine as well

There are some dynamite repaints of it,

Just for your own edification amongst other things brewing here is a really nice Prop Provost, MORE Austers and some older DH models.

We're small but we are busy

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34183

Leif, any thoughts on my request to upload the Shack pack with all the updates? I've passed a copy on to Rich, but it might make it easier for a few others as well? Obviously I'll put a readme in with full credits for all involved.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34186

• Woods
I'd recommend it, its an awesome version of the Shack, and I've lost a good piece of this afternoon flying the beast! The only bit I can't fathom out is how to import the gauges? I just have blank panels.

Regards
Rich

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34187

Odd, I had all the gauges needed in there. Did you drop all 3 folders straight into your main FS folder Rich?

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34188

• Woods
D'oh.

Got them now. Thanks for that!

There's going to be others from our team that are going to love this.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34190

• Rich
Rob looking very nice and I am following progress, is there a possibility of having a MR1/2 later

Rich
Rich R

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34193

I'm in France at the moment, following 'Le Tour' but will annswer all questions as soon as I get home.