Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34250

Hi Rich,
I doubt that I will ever get around to a Mk 1 or 2, I still have so much work to do on this one that by the time its finished I’ll want to move on to something else.
Rich wrote:
Rob looking very nice and I am following progress, is there a possibility of having a MR1/2 later

Rich
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34251

• Rich
Rob not a problem it was just a inquiry , I am happy with what you do.
Rich R

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 month ago #34342

A couple of shots over St Mawgan from the VC.
TACAN equipped ( Well sort of )

Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by robcarrich.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 3 weeks ago #34467

Not far to go, here are a few more shots.
I am now well over the supposed limit of 65k vertices, I’m up to 102,000 for the interior and just over 95,000 for the exterior, I would like to add more detail but I think that would be pushing my luck! unless anyone can tell me how to get over this problem.
I’ve made a couple of droppable objects, a life raft with parachute and a 500 bomb, which can be added to any saved flight and dropped using the Shift/D key combination.
There is a rotating searchlight, the radome can be lowered using the tailhook key and will automatically retract when the gear is lowered, the bomb doors are on the spoiler key.
I found it hard to believe when I first read it but the Shackleton could carry over 4000 gallons of fuel, it does compromise short field performance somewhat.

One engine out.

Two out.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by robcarrich.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 3 weeks ago #34468

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Looking great Rob, can't wait

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 2 weeks ago #34546

Thank you rob for the upcoming Shackleton MR3.
I served on 206 from 1956 to 1960, and have actually worked on and flown in 'C'.

There were two Charlies, the first one we received was WR983 a phase one aircraft, she went away for upgrading, and we received a phase two shack, coded 'C' XF730 as a replacement.
It was quite an improvement over the mark ones we had, Chocolate and Cream decor, rubber carpets, and sound proofing of sorts.

Thanks again, I am looking forward to the release.
Cheers, Mike (shackair)

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 2 weeks ago #34550

Thanks for the information Mike,
That is very interesting, where were you stationed?
The information I have on this aircraft came from "Warpaint" and it states HS Shackleton MR 3 Phase 2 XF707 of 206 sqdn. RAF St Mawgan 63-65, is that code not correct?
Do you know how much fuel the wingtip tanks held?
I'll PM you a link to download the the Shackleton but she is in an unfinished state at the moment.
It is only for FSX acceleration.

Regards

shackair wrote:
Thank you rob for the upcoming Shackleton MR3.
I served on 206 from 1956 to 1960, and have actually worked on and flown in 'C'.

There were two Charlies, the first one we received was WR983 a phase one aircraft, she went away for upgrading, and we received a phase two shack, coded 'C' XF730 as a replacement.
It was quite an improvement over the mark ones we had, Chocolate and Cream decor, rubber carpets, and sound proofing of sorts.

Thanks again, I am looking forward to the release.
Cheers, Mike (shackair)

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 2 weeks ago #34586

Looking very good Rob. A group of us are flying the 'Shackleton Project' version that was originally built to support the one aircraft they had flying there. It is very good and although it was originally built for FS2002/2004, it works well in FSX. I expect you are already familiar with this version. It is a little dated now and I for one am looking forward to your version. Will there be a paint kit for it? I ask because I would want to repaint a version to replicate my brother's aircraft XF730 when he was with 120 Squadron. He was sadly lost in an air crash in 1967 and this will form part of my memorial to him.

Picture of a model I had made by 'Nice Aeroplanes"

Attachment IMG_0049.JPG not found

attached

Andrew

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 2 weeks ago #34587

Hi Rob,
oops! the mists of time clouded my memory, you are right, it was XF707 not XF730.

I think I may have been demobbed before 206 got XF730.( I must have read it somewhere.)
Possibly XF730 was a phase 3 with 2 Viper Jet engines in the inboard nacelles. The tip tanks held about 250 gallons.
I started at St.Eval as an 'Instrument Basher', (having been posted from Topclffe when the Neptunes Lend Lease expired.) servicing the MR-1, then on to St.Mawgan and the MR-3.

Looking forward to the download, thanks again.

Regards, Mkie

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 6 days ago #34694

andrew wrote:
Looking very good Rob. A group of us are flying the 'Shackleton Project' version that was originally built to support the one aircraft they had flying there. It is very good and although it was originally built for FS2002/2004, it works well in FSX. I expect you are already familiar with this version. It is a little dated now and I for one am looking forward to your version. Will there be a paint kit for it? I ask because I would want to repaint a version to replicate my brother's aircraft XF730 when he was with 120 Squadron. He was sadly lost in an air crash in 1967 and this will form part of my memorial to him.

Andrew

That's a lovely model Andrew,
As for the paint kit, Peter Watkins my be producing one, if not I will make available to you the original bmp files when all are complete.
One of the main reasons I started work on the Shackleton was because I could not get hold of the “Shackleton Project” model, I know of it of course but have not seen it and do not know from where to get it.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 4 years 1 day ago #34758

I got my copy of the Shackleton Project version from Flight1
www.flight1.com/ - Just do a search for 'Shackleton Project' and it will appear.
There was a problem with a file that prevented some of the instruments working properly in FSX and I would be glad to help further if you decide to get it but I guess you would know how to sort it anyway. Also the engine smoke trails are incorrect (vertical instead of horizontal) but that is easily corrected.

Also the rendition of the VC is not as good in FSX as it appears to be in FS9 when looking at the screen shots on the product page. Yours look much better

Thanks for the paint kit info.
Last Edit: 4 years 1 day ago by andrew.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34819

Good afternoon Rob,

I am to team leader of the original Shackleton Project for Fs2004. The FSX project looks great so far. Can i help you with anything? Our flight dynamics are pretty spot on.

I will post some photos of the actual shack sim we built :)

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34829

Hi Henk,

Great to see you here - I am still enjoying your version very much and the small group of whom I am proud to be a member often fly the Shackleton out of its former UK bases. It has a marvellous sound set that captures the 'growler' name to a T. All the best

Andrew

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34851

henkhugo wrote:
Good afternoon Rob,I am to team leader of the original Shackleton Project for Fs2004. The FSX project looks great so far. Can i help you with anything?

Hello Henk,
Thank you very much for your kind offer of help but as fate would have it I am to-day adding the finishing (I hope) touches to the Shackleton and should have it ready soon.

Thanks again

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34865

Hi Henk,

As a member of the same group as Andrew, can I also add my thanks for your original model, which we still fly regularly in FSX with absolutely no problem.

Norman