Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34866

Hi Rich

Sorry just catching up on a few things.this looks really great, very nicely done indeed.

You mentioned the 65K limit.......there is no limit in FSX AFAIK.

If it were FS.9 you'd run out in the 40's, as more polys are made as it compiles. 42-44 thousand.

I have the work around now for FS.9 and can compile models far in excess of the 64K limit, but FS.X should be OK as it is

Garry
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34896

Hello Garry,
Interesting subject, and I’ve been following your posts about this.
I reached 106K on the interior model and still compiling OK, but FSDS still complains about the 65K limit even though I am using XtoMdl, which is infinitely more stable and reliable than MakeMDL, and the acceleration SDK.
The log jam, I think, is FSDS itself as it is getting very very slow as the model gets more complicated and on occasions will lock up completely, the program is way past its best and, but for Dave Nunez, would be less than adequate.
I have noticed that very small objects, knobs and switches and the like, are becoming distorted, although this is not noticeable in the sim.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34900

Hi Rob

FSDS does slow up a lot when the model gets bigger but that doesn't affect me as I never work on a whole model

I have separate projects in the case of the current project for wing, engines, Undercarriage Fuse and load

The wing and engine are common to all but there are different load and Fuse for the various plus the longer and shorter need their own undercarriage due to the nosegear.

When I go to compile I just merge what versions I want, except now that it's over sized I keep them separated for the compile, but still merge to look at the whole model sometimes

If I tried to compile a single model in excess of 65 limit the workaround will break down

This is of course all for FS9

I don't compile with FSDS but export to .x file and import that into MakeMdl. I have tried and it often breaks down

Most I've spoken to don't use the FSDS compiler...do you export the XtoMDL separately?

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34905

Hi Garry,
I have FSDS set up to use XtoMdl and DDS textures and that's it, I let let the program do all the clever stuff, I just would not know how to do it any other way.
I do try to keep the main parts separate until as near to the finished article as possible, by using the spare model feature, I suppose I should be more organised about this process and should only bring the parts together to compile, but after 20 years in British corporate management, as you would expect, organisation is not my strong point!
Presumably you keep the main parts separate and just join, without saving, to compile?

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34907

HI Rob

I keep the projects separate and only for compiling ofr checking do I bring the .fsc together

I open a .FSC use the merge project to call in the other parts saving it as new .fsc name after the first part is opened to save overwriting it

I often save the full model in case I need to go back to it...so once it's all together I export to.x file.

It only takes a few seconds to merge all the projects...probably less than a minuet

Open up MakeMDL and call the .x file in set the model destination setup MakeMDL in the usual way and off it goes...simple :)

Cheers
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Garry Russell.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34914

Hi Garry,
Have just been experimenting with x.files.
XtoMdl has a DOS type interface and I cant quite workout how to make the two files, model and animation, into one model file?
It compiles the model OK by dropping the x.file onto the XtoMdl icon but also produces another anim. file.
There is an awful lot to learn!

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34915

HI Rob

Sounds like it's diffierent to the X file system

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34950

Hi Rob,

Very nice aircraft and great to fly as you say in the readme, the engine sound pack is essential to the overall experience. All your hard work has been worth it. You kindly said I could have the .bmp texture files to repaint my own version - the same as the model I showed you. Could you send them to me or is there a direct download available?

Andrew

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34952

• Woods
Anybody that wants/needs to record a Shackleton running? WR963 is ground running at Coventry airport this Saturday. There's likely to be a few places spare on board, but there's no list or booking - we usually grab whoever's nearby!

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34953

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Hey Richard

Did you get my mail?

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34954

• Woods
Leif,

I haven't yet... but thats not to say it didn't get to me. I'm currently at work (limited net access) so probably won't pick it up until later when I get home.

Rich

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34955

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
ok sent it on Facebook

hope you folks can help

and you should have full access

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #34957

• Woods
Can't get FB here... I'll check it and respond as soon as I get home.

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #35034

Hi Rob,
Where can i get gary's sound set? has it been uploaded somewhere?

I am well pleased with your effort, she's great, but I have a small 'niggle', re- the Turn & Slip gauge is the wrong type I think, our 206 squadron Mk3 phase ones had the single pointer with a spirit level at the bottom, as did our MR 1's, not the Lancaster/Spitfire type.

Anyway thanks again for a super model.

Regards, Shackair

Re: Shackleton MR 3 on the distant horizon. 3 years 11 months ago #35035

The following user(s) said Thank You: sknepper