Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Repaints

Repaints 3 years 11 months ago #34805

I have downloaded some repaintsa and I see that I have to alter the config file.

As I'm always wary of some of the "free" software available on the internet, which often has repercussions later, can you recommend a way of openeing and editing these files?

Biggles
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Repaints 3 years 11 months ago #34806

• Keith Paine
  • Thank you received: 4
You should have Notepad available to you if you have a standard Microsoft installation. If you open up the aircraft.cfg file in Notepad you can add text or edit it, or more conveniently with repaints you will find that you can copy from the repaint file & paste it into your existing file. You then just need to add or change the sequence number. If you are at all worried make a copy & rename it before changing the original.
HTH
Keith
Upside Down In Cloud.....

Re: Repaints 3 years 11 months ago #34808

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Biggles

All of the freeware here is vetted carefully for that very reason

If you downloaded it here -- even if its paints for payware you can bet your bottom dollar that someone has approached the builders and asked if they could do it....particualarly if the name Peter Watkins is on it!!!

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Repaints 3 years 11 months ago #34814

Thanks for your help. I didn't know what software to use in opening it and if you look on the internet, there are all sorts of suspicious looking programmes available. I wasn't implying that any of yours were dodgy!

Notepad worked a treat. Thanks again for your prompt assistance!

Biggles

Re: Repaints 3 years 11 months ago #34821

I have a new problem though. I decided to use a DC3 repaint as my test. Editing the config file using notepad worked.I inserted the FltSim number into the original and then copied into the original (default) DC3 cfg file.When I finished editing the config file, I tried to save and close it, but in the case of both notepad files it failed with the massage "Access Denied". I had earlier successfully edited the Trident files.

If it is relevant, I am using FSX.

Is this peculiar to the DC3 as it is a default aircraft? If so why couldn't me edit of the readme instructions work? Can anyone help?

Biggles

Re: Repaints 3 years 11 months ago #34822

Are you windows 7

If you are then you need to be logged in as an administrator of it will not allow you to make any changes to files in the Windows programmes folder
A lot of folks now when installing FS, do so in a different location to overcome this problem.

If this is what's happening you might have been logged in as admin when you updated the Trident

Garry
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Garry Russell.

Re: Repaints 3 years 11 months ago #34824

Thanks for that Garry,

I am using Windows 7 on my new computer, so I'll check to see if that was doing it.

Biggles