Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3

Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35595

Hello forum

I've just joined Britsim and found your Shackleton MR3. I support the Shackleton project here in South Africa with donations and have purchased their model for FS2004. I will donate shortly to your worthy site.

I have downloaded the Shackleton three time and keep getting a "Bad zip header found". I then ignore the error and proceed to extract it, which then comes up with the following error "File fails CRC check: "C:\Unzipped\Avro Shackleton\Avro Shackleton MR3\texture.SAAF\wheelwells.dds". I have downloaded with different browsers, no download accelerators, and tried different unzip programs but all indicate the error similiarly. I suspect some damage to the file at it's location has crept in.

Could you look at it and see if I am correct, or if it is the way it is downloading to my country.

Glad to be onboard

Regards
The topic has been locked.

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35596

• Rich
Just downloaded and unzipped with no complaints from Winzip seems the library file is ok,

Did not try the AI version though.

Would'nt think country would have anything to do with it.
Rich R

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35598

Hi Rich

Thanks for the reply. Tried the AI version as well, and the sounds, and all with the same error. I downloaded the DeHavilland Hornet with no problems. I see on avcom.co.za that other fellow contrymen of mine are having the same problem with the Shack model on britsim. They download them several times before getting a successful downloaded file.

www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=83632

So there must be a bandwidth or other issue affecting us here. I'll keep trying, as I use various browsers, IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

Regards

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35599

Hi Rich

Well, as I have read on the AVCom forums, correctly one has to keep downloading the files until it comes through working. These are now my fourth attempts and they are now working with no errors. That cannot be a coincidence.

Regards

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35600

Me again

Well I've given up on the Shack sound file " Griffon Sounds (Sounds)" :angry: . A constant "Bad zip header" and CRC error with the same file "\Shack3_RPM3.wav".

As I indicated in my previous post I eventually got the MR3 and AI file to download after repeated multiple times, but the sound file remains broken after more than 10 attempts. So I have to concede this is coming from your servers or service provider, as I have downloaded nearly a gig of similiar files from AVSIM, FlightSim, FlightGear, Simviation, X-Plane etc today, with no issues in the downloaded files.

This tells me that my connection to the Internet through my service provider and other sites are solid.

Regards

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35604

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
There are two ways you can get things with sugar or with S**t - your continued statements that its "our fault" you and others annoy me greatly - this is freeware! its provided without charge to you
or anyone else, The owner of the website pays for its upkeep out of his own pocket. For your information I just downloaded the Griffon sound in total in less than 90 secs - and I DONT live in the UK where our provider is housed , I live in rural northern California.

Here is a link for you, and I am also very very pissed off at remarks made about Robs excellent
Shackelton by your countrymen on other websites, you dont like it BIN it , dont piss and moan about "Britsim's Shackelton" it isnt ours we just provide a library where all these models are kept.

Heres your bloody link

www.sendspace.com/file/lx6s93

Leif
Britsim Admin
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by LeifH.

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35605

• Fors
  • Thank you received: 1
Leif, wish I had your language skills when my English spoken neighbors annoy me!
Enjoy your replies :laugh: :laugh:

Lars F

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35606

LeifH wrote:
sugar or with S**t - continued statements that its "our fault" you and others annoy me greatly - this is freeware! its provided without charge to you
or anyone else, The owner of the website pays for its upkeep out of his own pocket.

I am also very very pissed off at remarks made about Robs excellent Shackelton by your countrymen on other websites, it isnt ours we just provide a library where all these models are kept.

Leif
Britsim Admin

Leif

You can take a "leif" out of the manners page and mind your mouth and acid reply. What a wonderful admin you are with new persons interested in the site. I KNOW it's freeware, and I commend the excellent model by the owner, and I am fully aware that thousands offer their freeware out of their own pockets. I have followed this model for the past few weeks and have had difficulty in downloading it. I don't need a kindergarten's lesson about it. My statements are simply the location/store is difficult in delivering the files to my location in the world. Big deal that you live in Canada. People like you and your responses annoy me greatly too, all of you from that continent thinking you own and run the world, with your god complexes. How long have you been in IT, I've been in it and it's my own business for 36 years, so don't respond like I am some bloody moron. I know issues and problems when I see them, and I think I have the experience and the wisdom to figure them out and fix them.

So great you don't like the comments of the local web site. Don't assume (ass of you over me) that I agree or side with their remarks. I was simply researching on the web today about this Shackleton model and came across their postings, and also recognizing it as being local. You have a bone to pick with them then respond to them directly. As a matter of fact I personally did not agree with or like what they had to say. I simply took out a few pieces of reference they made to downloading the model, as I am.

And if this is just a library to store the models, then you as the admin should be taking heed of people experiencing problems, and get off your high horse, and work with us having difficulty, in a civil manner as I have done, to SOLVE the issue. Nowhere in my replies do I slate or put down anyone. I'm simply stating a fact on my side and looking for assistance to resolve this. A learning culture to pass on for others that might experience these same problems. Together had your attitude and response been different, we might have found the source of the problem, instead of your snide and asinine response.

If this is the attitude of this site, then I will take my interest and business elsewhere. Have a good day.

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35608

• Molyned
  • Thank you received: 6
F.Y.I. 'Screwbottle' , rural northern California is in the U.S.A. not Canada. :huh:
Oh, and Leif is a Brit.
You can't really compare this site with the giants like Avsim e.t.c . It's just a small budget site run by a small band of enthusiasts who try and offer free aircraft e.t.c.
Naturally we take exception when folks complain bitterly about the performance of the site although behind the scenes the boss (which isn't Leif) takes exceptional steps to attempt to resolve such problems.
The normal way of solving folks' download problems when asked in a civil manner is to provide them with a direct link - as Leif has done for you. No doubt you will be thanking him shortly.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Molyned.

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35609

LeifH wrote:
Heres your bloody link www.sendspace.com/file/lx6s93

So downloaded file fine from your provided link at sendspace, no zip header errors, no CRC errors. But I am the problem, with the problem service provider etc etc ad nauseam!!!!! Downloaded in 15 minutes as I don't have the international bandwidth speeds that you seem to take for granted.

But clearly does not seem to be a problem to my location from Sendspace. A lesson to be learned, easy to deny that you do not have a problem but clearly there must be.

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35610

• Keith Paine
  • Thank you received: 4
Screwbottle - if you have been in the IT business for 36 years, how about sharing your knowledge on how to improve things - Robs doing his best as a hobby pursuit.
Keith
Upside Down In Cloud.....

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35612

Molyned wrote:
F.Y.I. 'Screwbottle' , rural northern California is in the U.S.A. not Canada. :huh:
Oh, and Leif is a Brit.
You can't really compare this site with the giants like Avsim e.t.c . It's just a small budget site run by a small band of enthusiasts who try and offer free aircraft e.t.c.
Naturally we take exception when folks complain bitterly about the performance of the site although behind the scenes the boss (which isn't Leif) takes exceptional steps to attempt to resolve such problems.
The normal way of solving folks' download problems when asked in a civil manner is to provide them with a direct link - as Leif has done for you. No doubt you will be thanking him shortly.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

Hi Dave

Yes I realized my mistake over the location, but with blood and anger in the eyes at the response, I was not going to go back and edit the content, and yes I picked up that he is a Brit living in another country, no excuse of any sort though at the reply. And yes I have replied as receiving the file intact. Was that so hard to reply in a more civilized tone than was offered, and we could have resolved this politely. Again I proved that there is a problem with the file on this location and it simply needs to be addressed. I belong to and help manage two very small local SIM sites and clubs, offering 100's of hours of my time, after hours for no reward, offering advice, fixes and files, without the response and replies I have just received. I receive and send, sometimes the error on my side, files that are or become damaged, but I heed the replies and fix it, no big deal. Simply investigate, and if so fix, apologize and resend or reload.

Again assumption is made that I am thinking or comparing your site to the big players, simply because I mentioned that I have been downloading from them today. An example was simply made that I can and am receiving files intact with no errors. If you consider my replies and responses to a real problem with a file, as "complaining bitterly" then you guys have a serious problem of support etc. I am sure that the owner is a conscientious person and does take, as you have quoted "exceptional steps to attempt to resolve such problems". It is a comforting thought that he is so, indicating the professional level of his commitment to this site. I wonder if he thinks the same of a site admin responding as has happened.

Did Leif not see or figure it out early in the responses that there was a problem, and could have supplied an alternate link, as he did, without his high uppity reply. And you think I must now thank him after his reply, as I have responded it worked. Very difficult when someone like him p??ss?s on one's battery for no reason.

Regards

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35613

Keith Paine wrote:
Screwbottle - if you have been in the IT business for 36 years, how about sharing your knowledge on how to improve things - Robs doing his best as a hobby pursuit.
Keith

Well Keith

I would have, and I think I know what could be the problem, had my first experience to this site and forum been a better one, from the replies I am now receiving. This is also a hobby pursuit for me, the main advantage I have is my years of experience in IT, so I am able to and do assist many around the world, as well as locally. Why not just Google my call sign Screwbottle (my real name Andrew Brown) and see how and where I assist on various forums and blogs. I am only too happy to pass on as well as learn from others in making our hobby a great one. My philosophy I apply in my life and with my friends and family is to pass it forward, and I don't mince my words, for me a spade is a spade.

Again you like others are assuming that I think or claim that Rob does not know what he is doing, or that I can come to appreciate what he is offering. I've been on this site for a few hours and the assumptions are a joke. I don't even know anyone posting here yet.

Regards

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35614

• Molyned
  • Thank you received: 6
Just downloaded and checked both the Shackleton and sound-set. Both are 100% OK, unzipping normally.
For information, they came down at 200kb/sec via a (sometimes) fast cable connection.
All files which are hosted here get checked for downloading correctly after loading to the site which is why we tend to say 'there's no problem with the files'.
Sometimes, somewhere up in the wires, over the world, stuff gets garbled for some unknown reason. This problem used to be worse until the site was moved recently to another provider - generally now there are very very few problems.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

Re: Problem with zip file of downloaded Shackleton MR3 3 years 10 months ago #35615

Hi Dave

Accepted, and as you indicated you have a 200KB/sec line speed. I have a 48KB/sec line speed, so a longer time online for me to download files, and allowing something to go wrong. As I have just discovered again, the main shack file and the AI one I recently downloaded, have no zip header problems now, but I get a CRC error on the thumbnail for the AI file and a CRC error on the _Interior.mdl file in the main file. So to quote your reference "stuff gets garbled", this is still happening for me. These files I downloaded earlier had CRC errors for completely different files, so I realize that the main files might be intact on your location, but they are being transported with errors to my location, and not yours. There is a server or servers between you and I causing this issue and will involve a lot of network probing with software tools to see where the culprit is. By supplying other links such as from Sendspace, this is bypassing the problem server/s.

As you have quoted by moving to another provider it has helped, but there is still some problems surfacing. A simple tracert or ping will not tell us much, a packet analysis tool would be needed, attached to the line from your server or service provider for a couple of days to see where it all goes pear shaped.

So could I ask you to please provide me with another link for the main Shackleton file, and the AI version.

Regards
  • Page: