Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shackleton

Shackleton 3 years 10 months ago #35878

Hi Rob, thanks for the excellent Shackleton which I enjoy flying very much. There is only one small problem on the SAAF version being that the textures are not quiet true to the SAAF color scheme. There some small details which I have corrected with FS Repaint but does not seem to work on the larger areas such as the wings which should be dark sea grey on the upper surfaces and P.R.U.blue on the undersides with the Castle insignia underneath also. Could you be so kind as to let me know with which program you painted the textures. Living in Cape Town I have grown up with the Shacks and have had the pleasure seeing the the last airworthy Shack, Pelican 22 fly and have taken many photographs.
I thank you very much.
David Hartwig.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Shackleton 3 years 10 months ago #35879

Hi David,

I am in the process of painting all eight of the SAAF Shackletons and have already released 1716 in original markings with the roundel as opposed to the Castle insignia. The next one will be 1718 with the Castle insignia without the white fuselage top. I chose this one as a tribute to the crew who perished in August 1963 when 1718 crashed.The others will be with the white top.
I know Rob was only going to do the RAF version originally and leave the SAAF ones to me but I could not meet his release deadline as I was in the middle of painting 20 Percival Provosts.

cheers, Peter Watkins

Re: Shackleton 3 years 10 months ago #35882

Thanks Peter, I makes my heart very glad that someone has decided to honour such a beautiful aircraft of the past in such a way that we are able to fly her on the computer. I was a young man of Fifteen when 1718 crashed into the Stetynskloof mountains. I thank Rob as well for starting the project. Keep up the good work .:) :)