Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW

Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36012

Hi Rob, you have done an excellent job on the Shackleton Mk3 have you ever though of creating the Mk2 and the AEW version as well. The one that is available on Flightsim is not up to standard, the graphics are good but the flight dynamics leave a lot to be desired plus it does not have a virtual cockpit. i have downloaded your latest Gannet which flies very well and the graphics are also
excellent.

I Thank you.
David.:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36025

• Rich
Did you try these Flight Dynamics or the ones in the library here or the Shackleton Project air file
only not the aircraft.cfg. You could even try Rob's airfile only.

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Warbirds
FS2004 Avro Shackleton Flight Dynamics
[ Download | View ]

Name: shkltn.zip Size: 8,574 Date: 11-14-2005 Downloads: 2,166
FS2004 Avro Shackleton Flight Dynamics Update. This update includes fuel tanks. wing, empennage, load and landing gear locations, engine and propeller parameters and location, improved handling. Requires original model by Paul Foster (PD920150.ZIP). By Brian Horsey.

"The one that is available on Flightsim is not up to standard, the graphics are good but the flight dynamics leave a lot to be desired plus it does not have a virtual cockpit." ????????

Rob did say some time back there would be no MR2 or AEW.

Rich
Rich R

Re: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36041

I have downloaded the SHKLTN.ZIP file from Flightsim but it only makes matters worse. The take off & climb angle is very steep and when you try to correct it by trimming the aircraft she nose dives.Does anyone know how to configure the flight dynamics properly.:(

Re: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36055

• Rich
Just reinstalled it again in FSX is that where you are using it ??

I am using it with Brian Horsey's SHKLTN.ZIP with no problems, no steep climb angle as it should be as I am controlling the climb angle with the stick.

It sounds as if your trim problems are self inflicted.

I apply no trim pre take of, only use trim after gear and flaps up.

Set off down the runway on take off run lift the tail wheel just over 70 kts ias, continue the run to take off speed then EASE back on the stick so it lifts off at a fairly shallow climb angle allowing the speed to build, retract the gear then flaps and continue climb, no dramatic nose dives.

If as I think you are using it in FSX have you got that MAX Realism junk turned on ???.

"anyone know how to configure the flight dynamics properly" What do you mean they work ok for me.
Rich R

Re: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36056

• Rich
Just a thought, is this steep climb angle when using Auto Pilot with speed hold ???
Rich R

Re: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36057

Maybe it could be that we are not talking about the same aircraft. This is a file I got from Flightsim.com called the PD Shackleton which was made for 2002 but flies in 2004 after a bit of tweeking as she does not idle in 2004.It has 5 different aircraft. It flies much better with the original flight dynamics and I do not use trim when I take off only flaps. I have flown it in FSX as well and it flies the same as in 2004 which is reasonably well but there are faults. I have been flying simulator aircraft for many years and can feel when an aircraft is not quite right. So if you are saying that it is me flying the aircraft wrong so be it, I have flown from Tiger Moths to Supersonic jets without a hitch.You are entitled to your opinion.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by blouberge.

Re: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36061

• Rich
blouberge, sorry it is the same model I have had it since beta stage obviously adding updates.

Brian Horsey to my mind is one of the best with flight dynamics, much better than me.

I am using it in FSX with no problems with trim or engine idle , trim does not apply itself it has to be done by the pilot or autopilot, seems to me you use autopilot and this is where you get problems.

Speed hold does not work in FSX unless it is correctly set up, engaging speed hold not set up right causes the throttles to close ! autopilot then tries to maintain climb or altitude using up trim until there is none left then winds in full down trim to attempt to prevent a stall ( power dive). this sounds to me like the problem you have ie steep climb and power dive.
Rich R

Re: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36066

I am not using autopilot, the original dynamics work much better giving me at least a decent flight. I have set the idle rpm mechanical efficiency from scalar 1.000 to 1.500 which allows it to idle in FS2004. It is only with Brian Horseys dynamics that I seem to have the climb and dive problems. Thank you for your concern and advice but the problem is not all that serious.

Re: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36067

• Woods
Sorry for being a bit dim - I am very much a Flight Sim newbie - but when you say the Shackleton won't idle, how do you mean? I'm using the Paul Foster Shackleton quite a bit in FS2004, and it seems okay.

For reference, the real thing idles at 650 - 750 rpm with the throttle backed off to the stop.

Kind regards,

Rich

Re: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36070

I have also had a problem with the Memphis Belle B17 which was originally made for Combat Flight Simulator but on the packaging it stated that it was suitable for FS2004. It would run down the runway and climb at a very slow speed until I adjusted the flight dynamics which sorted out the problem. Most aircraft made before FS2004 do fly well on 2004 and FSX but some have to be adjusted, that is a fact which we cannot just brush aside. As I have said before I have been flying for many years and have come across a few which do need a bit of attention, You say you are new at Flight Simulation but I am sure that you will also experience some of the problems I have come across. I hope that you enjoy the hobby as much as I have. Happy Flying.

Greetings.;)
David
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by blouberge.

Re: Shackleton Mk2 + AEW 3 years 9 months ago #36073

• Woods
Many thanks for the explanation David. I am enjoying Flight Simulation, I have to be patient as for now, the only way the mighty Shackleton flies is virtually.

Our old warrior awaits more funding and better times. Fates willing, she might get to fly into the sunset again in the future.

Kind regards,

Rich