Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Installation file damaged

Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36628

I am a new member. I am using Windows 7, 64 bit and FSX.

I have just downloaded Robert Richardson's Avro Shackleton Mk 3, but in common with some other downloads I have made, I receive a message "Sorry. An error has occurred. The application could not be installed because the installation file is damaged. Try ob5aining a new installation file from the application author"

This is a common problem for me. Can anyone suggest a general remedy or can Robert Richardson oblige me with a new installation.?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36629

• Rich
Not seen that before from this site, "Sorry. An error has occurred. The application could not be installed because the installation file is damaged. Try ob5aining a new installation file from the application author" it was usually a corrupt or incomplete zip, which could not be opened, maybe you have a duff app that you use to extract zips ??? As far as I know Rob does not use a auto installer how did you try to install it ???

Rob now has his own site you may want to try there, not trying to steer you away from here this site serves us well now that the Otter has fixed the old download problems everything works OK.

Try here it should get you on the download page

www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/page4.html
Rich R

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36630

• Rich
CHARLIEDOG, You say

"This is a common problem for me. Can anyone suggest a general remedy or can Robert Richardson oblige me with a new installation.?"

Is this a common problem on this site only or do you get it elsewhere ??????

I have just downloaded the Shack MR3 from Robs new site as per link above and it is a zip file which when opened requires you to copy paste the MR 3 folder to the Airplane folder, no installer involved.

However the MR3 download from this site is a zip file that says, No Zip file, bad zip file or part of a spanned zip file which is why you can not open it.

Again no installer involved, had you said "No Zip file, bad zip file or part of a spanned zip file most of us here would know what you are talking about,

"Sorry. An error has occurred. The application could not be installed because the installation file is damaged. Try ob5aining a new installation file from the application author" possibly comes from a non winzip decompressor, it does not click for me.

Try the download from Robs site that works ok meanwhile the Otter, another Rob can look into the problem here.

Rich
Rich R

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36634

• Rich
CHARLIEDOG, due to the vageries/whatever of the internet I tried the MR3 download again from this site = Brit Sim again today, 12 pm midday here around 4 am UK time and it worked perfectly with no quibble from winzip so it seems to be a erratic fault !!??.

If you already downloaded it From Rob Richardsons site it may be a little slow but it is a later version than the one here I think.

Hopefully you will give some feed back on this situation

current time here in the Philippines is 1210 pm, UK will be around 4.10 am, may have some bearing ?
Rich R

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36644

Rich,

Just reading your replies to my query. Have had no luck so far but will reread and pursue.
Thanks for your interest

CHARLIEDOG

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36654

Rich R. Update.

Still being unsuccessful ininstalling RJR's Avro Shackleton Mk 3. As I say, for my computer set up, it appears to be a reoccurring problem.

Continued attempts to download and install other aircraft have been partially successful but the pictures, if any, do not relate to the description.

The whole exercise is giving my computer convulsions and I am not knowledgable to deal with this.

It would seem wise for me to abandon this project for the time being.

Again, thank you for your interest.

CHARLIEDOG

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36655

• Molyned
  • Thank you received: 6
Hm strange :unsure:
I've just downloaded the Shackleton from our library here and from Rob's site mentioned above and both produce good file-sets.
So I can confirm there are no inherent problems with the files.
BTW - I do however have a 20Mb internet link.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36656

• Rich
CHARLIEDOG, Do'nt give up yet I have'nt, I may know what your problem is.

Have you downloaded a good zip from either site that you can unzip to give you a folder named

From the Brit Sim site a download named Avro + Shackleton ????

From Rob Richardsons site Avro Shackleton MR3 ????

If you have either of those folders left click on it and open it, does it have another folder inside named Avro Shackleton in the Brit Sim download or Avro Shackleton MR3 From Robs site.

If you have got this far with either of the folders from the download, it is the second folder inside the one unpacked from the zip that you need to copy past into the Sim Objects/Airplanes folder.

Let me know if you can make sense of this and if you get your shackleton to show, one thing do you have FSX acceleration installed ?? if you do'nt and you get lots of bits missing off the model all is not lost it can be fixed.

See how you get on with this lot

Rich
Rich R

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36659

• Rich
CHARLIEDOG,
"Sorry. An error has occurred. The application could not be installed because the installation file is damaged. Try ob5aining a new installation file from the application author"

This still has me wondering what app/prog sees it as a installation file ??? , there is no installation file it is all done by copy/pasting the folders unpacked by winzip or whatever you use as a compress decompress tool, you in fact would be the installer.

Do you have some other program that claims to correctly install aircraft

Can you download a usable winzip file ????
Rich R
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Rich.

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36661

Rich R

Most of the aircraft that I have downloaded recently refer to an Installer Package in their directory.

The only downloads and installations that have been successful and were compressed files are the AI Neptune, RJR's Sea Hornet and Ant's Tiger Moth. Most of the Avro Shackletons, C130, Auster, Lancaster and a C17 have not been successful.

From a Flight Sim point of view I can live with these failures, besides which, I can still fly my Shack Mk 2 and Lancaster on FS9, but I would like to understand what the problem is with FSX downloads/my system and if it can be overcome.

By the way I am using a NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 Graphics Card with the original drivers - well 15 months ago.

CHARLIEDOG

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36662

• Rich
CHARLIEDOG,There should be no difference between a Fs9 download and a FSX download they are both just compressed files, mostly in the cases in question winzip files, do you have winzip ?

When you download do you get a winzip file ??? which when you left click on it brings up a winzip box with license, and other options on it ? there will be a I Agree box left click on that and it should show a list of all the files in the zip. If you can do that your problem is something other than the download.

It is not unknown for Win 7 to be a pain in the bum with Fs, is your FSX installed in C/Program files ?? it seems to be preferable with Win 7 to have Fs files outside C/Program files.

I have the same NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 Graphics Card so that should not be a problem

Rich
Rich R

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36663

• Keith Paine
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm wondering if the files do get unzipped OK, but they do not go into a dedicated file named Shackleton (or something similar). e.g. I just downloaded the freeware Alphasim Lysander, which says that it will automatically creat a separate folder but it doesnt - it mage two folders, one named Aircraft the other is Gauges, & both are found within the FS9 'Aircraft' file, so I had to transfer those files to a dedicated folder. Is this happening to your files but in Sim Objects?
Sometimes I purposely creat a dummy file & unzip to that, then I transfer the contents to a dedicated file. Have you tried that if there is no installation.exe with your download.
BTW I use WinRAR for my unzipping.
Keith
P.S. Just looked at my FSX MR3 installation & found that I had one folder named 'Avro Shackleton' that had within it a folder 'Avro Shackleton MR3' which I had to extract from within the initial unzip & place it separately within the Airplane file system, otherwise it did not show up in FSX.
As far as I can see there is no automatic installation.exe programme.
K
Upside Down In Cloud.....
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Keith Paine.

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36671

Rich R, Keith Paine and Molyned,

I'll try a reply for the third time.

My FSX, SimObject file list the following aircraft that I have attempted, unsuccessfully to install:-

AI Avro 696 Shackleton MR3,
Alpha C130_pk1_FSX,
Auster_J1,
AvH_GB_Lancaster_mk3_GPY_H2S_Radar,
Avro Shackleton,
Avro Shackleton MR3,
DH80FSXand
Real Air Spitfire 1X 2007.

The following aircraft have been successfully installed:-
6 x AI neptunes,
8 x Ant's Tiger Moth and
DeHavilland Sea Hornet F Mk20
all with associated pictures and descriptions in the Aircraft list.

In a file 'aircraft is listed:-

Avro Shackleton MR3
and
Avro Shackleton MR3 RAF. This is included in the Aircraft list with a picture and description but has no paint - completely black.

In addition I have installed a Douglas DC -3NH-2 created for FSX and sent to me.

No aircraft are shown in the 'effects' file.

In the 'guages' file an Avro Shackleton MR3 RAF is shown

I am beginning to think that I rarely extract these aircraft using Winzip; probably using the Windows programme but there have been occasions when I have used the Winzip 'Evaluation' programme when prompted.

I do hope this reply flies this time

CHARLIEDOG

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36672

• Rich
My FSX, SimObject file list the following aircraft that I have attempted, unsuccessfully to install:-

AI Avro 696 Shackleton MR3,
Alpha C130_pk1_FSX,
Auster_J1,
AvH_GB_Lancaster_mk3_GPY_H2S_Radar,

Avro Shackleton, If this folder is still in your Airplanes folder left click on it to open it, if it opens what is inside ??? if a folder named Avro Shackleton that I think is Rob's model, click on, it does it contain a number of other folders, Model, Panel, Texture and sound ? if it does close it , make a new folder and move the first folder into it, open that folder and drag the Avro Shackleton folder inside into your Airplanes folder and select move here from the menu that pops up, make sure your cursor arrow is on a white part when you place it in Airplanes then select move here or it could disappear into another aircraft folder, restart FSX and see what you have

The following aircraft have been successfully installed:-
6 x AI neptunes,
8 x Ant's Tiger Moth and
DeHavilland Sea Hornet F Mk20
all with associated pictures and descriptions in the Aircraft list.

In a file 'aircraft is listed:- When you say listed do you mean 2 folders = Avro Shackleton MR3 and Avro Shackleton MR3 RAF, what is in those folders ?? the Avro Shackleton MR3 RAF panel is aliased to Avro Shackleton MR3 which I think is the South African version so if you are not going to use that version you will need to copy it's panel folder and paste it in Avro Shackleton MR3 RAF folder overwriting the existing panel folder

Avro Shackleton MR3
and
Avro Shackleton MR3 RAF. This is included in the Aircraft list with a picture and description but has no paint - completely black.

Avro Shackleton MR3 RAF is I think a Fs9 model created by ZA Shackleton Project which is payware not that it is of concern at the moment, there would be no picture in the select aircraft menu as it is a Fs9 model though when we get this working one can be added

In addition I have installed a Douglas DC -3NH-2 created for FSX and sent to me.

No aircraft are shown in the 'effects' file. There should be no aircraft in that effects folder you should only have a effects folder in the Main FSX folder. Is this one of the fx files in that effects folder ?? fx_engstrt_shack.fx ?? in any case copy the CONTENTS of that folder and paste them into the main FSX Effects folder, NOT the folder itself

In the 'guages' file an Avro Shackleton MR3 RAF is shown The Contents of the gauges folder should be copied to the Guages folder in the main FSX folder like the effects above

I am beginning to think that I rarely extract these aircraft using Winzip; probably using the Windows programme but there have been occasions when I have used the Winzip 'Evaluation' programme when prompted.

I would always use Winzip to extract that is what they were compressed with and always select Extract to folder whatever it says that way you do not have files scattered all over the place

I do hope this reply flies this time

Try downloading Rob Richardsons Shackleton again from his site as you do not seem to have his model, it is a newer version and extract it with winzip selecting the "Extract to Folder option which should put it in view

I am on Windows XP where I will stay until really forced to change, missed Vista altogether thankfully
Rich R
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Rich.

Re: Installation file damaged 3 years 6 months ago #36675

Rich R,

I am extremely pleased to report success at last.

I deleted all references to recent downloads of Avro Shackletons, downloaded RJR''s Avro Shackleton afresh; extracted it with Winzip to my 'Library/Aircraft' and then dragged it to 'SimObjects/Airplane'. It is now complete in FSX.

I am grateful for the interest and support that you and others have shown which has enabled me to succeed in this venture.

Now for my next trick

CHARLIEDOG
  • Page: