Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Video card question

Video card question 4 years 11 months ago #30109

Hi Gents,

Last night my GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCI-E video card died. I reinstalled my old GeForce 7600 512MB which is working OK, but think I might like to have something with a little more horsepower - which is why I replaced the 7600 in the first place. Any suggestions? It's been over 2 years since I went shopping for video cards, not sure what's out there now. I do want to stay with nVidia.

Scott
KJMS (or thereabouts)

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Video card question 4 years 11 months ago #30110

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Video card question 4 years 11 months ago #30111

Hi Leif,

That would be in my price range....also considering the 9800 GT 1GB. Seems to have gotten good reviews.

Cheers,
Scott
KJMS (or thereabouts)

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong

Re: Video card question 4 years 11 months ago #30113

everything from the older series is good Scott, so the 9800 GT would be a god choice.... darn loss that 8800... I have mine (a GTX) on a waterblock and still does a fine and silent job)

Jan

Re: Video card question 4 years 11 months ago #30114

Hi Scott,

I've got a 9800GTX+ 512Mb.

It does a good job with FSX but gets pretty noisy at times. The noise level would vary with the manufacturer of the card and the computer case I imagine. Unless you're water cooled like Jan. :)

Jon

Re: Video card question 4 years 11 months ago #30115

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not water cooled. Does the 9800 run that much hotter than the 8800 you would need water cooling?

Scott

Re: Video card question 4 years 11 months ago #30116

you don't need it... but you could mount a aftermarket-cooler by f.e. Zalman... they run cooler and more quiet then the standard coolers... I'm talking about aircoolers not waterblocks :)... Zalman is not the only manufacturer of aftermarket-fans

jan

Re: Video card question 4 years 11 months ago #30117

• Keith Paine
  • Thank you received: 4
You might also need to consider your UPS rating - I currently have that problem since changing my motherboard, video card & W7.
The current PSU (550 w) drove the old versions OK without triggering the overload level of the UPS, but now I am hitting the overload trigger of the UPS ( 2.5VA) with most outings in FSX & it will also do it in FS9 at times & certainly if AVG is sweeping at the same time, so my next purchase is going to have to be a bigger UPS, & thats almost twice the price of my current smaller one!
Keith
Upside Down In Cloud.....

Re: Video card question 4 years 11 months ago #30118

I think I'll be OK on the PS side. I have a thermalake (sp) 750W. It ran the 8800 without any problems.

Thanks for the replies,
Scott
KJMS (or thereabouts)

Re: Video card question 4 years 11 months ago #30119

750 W is more then enough running a comp thats not tweaked too much :)

Jan