Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Scale Modeling Forum

TOPIC: And now for something completely different

And now for something completely different 4 years 10 months ago #30567

The last couple of aircraft I've built have not turned out as well as I would like, so I decided to try something different. :)

I headed off to the local model shop for inspiration and thought I'd build a ship. Not having built one for more than 35 years I browsed what was available there and decided on a 1/700 scale Tribal class destroyer from Trumpeter as it didn't cost too much. Luckily I opened the large box in the shop to discover it was tiny. :ohmy:

I need something bigger for a first attempt I thought. But not expensive as there's a good chance I'll make mistakes on this first attempt. ;) The ideal solution seemed to be this:-

HMS Nelson 1/600 scale by Airfix. Plenty of flash to trim and sink and ejector pin marks to fill. :lol:

It's missing an important piece which forms the base of the bridge superstructure. :( I emailed Airfix and they haven't told me they can't supply the piece. The model is still in production so hopefully all will be well.

I've learnt that it's important to paint ships as you're going along (unlike when I was a kid) as there are parts that would be impossible to paint properly after completion. I might try some upgrading but I hate photo etch stuff.

Jon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: And now for something completely different 4 years 10 months ago #30569

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Can you imagine what MIGHT have been if the Rodney and Nelson had not been basically cut in half? Beautiful job coming along there Jon

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: And now for something completely different 4 years 10 months ago #30572

Well they wouldn't have looked so strange for a start. :lol:

The original G3 design before the Washington Treaty were for ships of 48,400 tons with nine 18" guns in three turrets, two in front of the bridge and one behind. They were much longer than the post treaty ships with 20 boilers and a projected speed of 32kts.

Post treaty the weight limit was 35,000 tons with a maximum gun size of 16". Putting all three turrets in front saved weight by keeping the magazines together and reducing the area that needed to be armoured. Unfortunately it was the propulsion that suffered the most with boilers reduced to eight and less powerful and therefore lighter turbines. The maximum speed was down to 23kts which was barely adequate.

Despite looking weird they were in fact weatherly ships and stable gun platforms. I've been picking up the lingo and can now drop words like barbette and casemate into conversations. :dry:

Whilst researching this ship I've rather grown to like the way they look, like an E type coupe instead of the roadster. :)

Whilst the British built capital ships according to the Washington treaty the Japanese withdrew from the treaty followed by the Americans when they found out what the Japanese were building. The Germans weren't signatories of the Washington treaty but were restricted by the Versailles Treaty. They cheated.

Jon

Re: And now for something completely different 4 years 10 months ago #30575

must be the same here with the ships... 30 years or so... did build the Bismarck and her sistership the Tirpitz. Huge scale by Revell. not mucht of detail though... they ended up as toy (as for the huge collection of 1/72 tanks after we were moving out the big house after my dad died) I was soo angry my mother had given away my complete collection to a five year old... I was for only a few years ago she apologized for this terrible deed...

Jan

Re: And now for something completely different 4 years 10 months ago #30581

Jan

I've got almost nothing left of the models I built when I was young, and in most cases it's probably just as well. ;)

I have got a couple of soldier figures that my mother kept on display. They're stashed away here but I might get them out to see if they are worth photografing.

This Nelson is something of a learning exercise, which is why I opted for a cheap model. I'm enjoying it so much that I'm considering something better as a follow up.
I was surprised that this model is still in production as it's not that good. The fit of pieces is fine and there isn't that much flash but there are a lot of ejector pin and sink marks to rectify and a lot of the smaller pieces boats, AA guns etc. are going to be fussy to clean up. Unless I buy some resin replacements. I'm undecided at the moment.

Most of the good ship models seem to come from Japan. Tamiaya, Trumpeter, Fujimi etc. But the Japanese and American navys don't float my boat to coin a phrase. :) There are some British warships of course, principally those sunk by the Japanese, and the ever popular German battleships.

I'm considering a King George V class battleship or possibly a Queen Elisabeth class (Warspite). Or how about a destroyer but in 1/350.

Jon

Re: And now for something completely different 4 years 10 months ago #30610

• Miggers
  • Thank you received: 1
Bet you're glad I know fanny adams about this kind of thing eh Jon?(unless it's a flat top of course.)

You ought to speak to my mate,John Lingwood.

He built this:

www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/cl/hms/...600-jl/jl-index.html

from the old Airfix 1/600th scale kit.

He knows loads about the things(he's ex Merchant Navvy),his contact info is on the left of that page
if you want to give him a prod.

Mark
CBF Alpha/Beta Test Pilot

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

IL2 Messerschmitt 109 ace

Holder of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves,Swords and Diamonds.

Re: And now for something completely different 4 years 10 months ago #30612

Hi Mark,

I hadn't seen that model, although I have found modelwarships.com already. It was there I found brief reviews of all of Airfixes ships where it states that Ajax is one of the worst for detail and accuracy, so your mate has done an excellent job with average raw material.

He may be on to something spending a long time building one model as SWMBO is already eyeing this model and mumbling about where it's going to go. :dry:

Jon

Ha :blink: Just found another review of the Airfix Ajax kit that says it's a good one. Also on modelwarship.com. :huh: You can't win.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by murnaghan.

Re: And now for something completely different 4 years 10 months ago #30614

impressive how much detail you can put into a model scale 1/600... love the weathering of the hull... seen some movieclips on youtube, how to do that...

Guess Jon's ship will make a fine model as well!

Jan