Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Scale Modeling Forum

TOPIC: Hallam Vac Auster AOP.9

Hallam Vac Auster AOP.9 3 years 11 months ago #35378

• Miggers
  • Thank you received: 1
Whilst chatting to dear Martin(T6Flyer) about the 1/72 Pegasus Boulton-Paul Balliol that he'd just
scored and was off to collect it,he also mentioned the old Hallam-Vac vacuform kits that were available here in UK 10-15 years ago.

They made an AOP.9(amongst a few others)and are a kit that is well thought of but very rare
nowadays(so well thought of that Martin has four of 'em).

So friends,a quick search of t'internet produced this for our delectation:

The AOP.9
modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/gb/attardaop9.htm

And also this,the Twin-Pin CC.1
modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/gb/attardtp.htm

Enjoy.

Mark
CBF Alpha/Beta Test Pilot

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

IL2 Messerschmitt 109 ace

Holder of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves,Swords and Diamonds.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hallam Vac Auster AOP.9 3 years 11 months ago #35379

Hoh boy! Hallam-Vac. Thats a name I have not heard in a long, long time. I am probably remembering incorrectly; but was there not an Airfix AOP way back when. Some of those old vac forms. They could be brilliant, or total rubbish- often no middle ground. I've a few old forma-plane beasties in the closet that may not ever be touched now-Nimrods- with the Injection kit out. But at $170CDN+ taxtaxtax and more tax for a 1/72 scale kit, the old Vac-form may get a go yet.

Re: Hallam Vac Auster AOP.9 3 years 11 months ago #35380

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Actually

It was a conversation about Airfix's AOP6 that sort of propelled Mr. Molyneaux Auster series....

I think it was probably Miggers fault.

You can still find the Airfix AOP6 in bags on ebay and obscure hobby shops

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Hallam Vac Auster AOP.9 3 years 11 months ago #35381

Okay- was remembering right. Goes way back; that memory. Those Pegasus limited run kits were fairly decent. Bought a few of the Belly-oils and Fireballs, Came out rather nicely.
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by 3/7charlie.

Re: Hallam Vac Auster AOP.9 3 years 11 months ago #35382

LeifH wrote:
Actually

It was a conversation about Airfix's AOP6 that sort of propelled Mr. Molyneaux Auster series....

Leif

So that was the start of it all.....:)

The actual AOP6 version I believe came out in the late 1970s and was basically the older kit with new markings. Why they choose that particular machine, I don't know, even after writing to Middle Wallop and Airfix.

I'd been flying at Eggesford for a couple of years and had bought one of these kits for a friend. I knew I had one gathering dust on my study shelf, but one day checked the serial as it was VX113 - the Eggesford based AOP6. Now if we take it anywhere, we have a box art displayed in the rear canopy to help illustrate the airframe's history.

As a modeller, I'd been through all of the themes that interested me - Fleet Air Arm, RAF Trainers, 2nd Line Luftwaffe etc and then stopped for years. Recently, have decided to now base my collection on aeroplanes have flown/in and now have a shelf full of items such as the Bird Dog, various Harvards, T-28s, P-51s, Norseman, Avenger, Provost, An-2, Beaver, Yak52, Stearman, Mentor etc etc.

I had heard of the Hallam Vac one years ago, but then shock horror wasn't really interested in Austers. Recently I've discovered Ebay and now its like buses - you don't see one for ages and then four appear almost one after the other. Why do I have four? Well sometime in the future it is my intention to build models of all 4 AOP9s flown so far. Will start with XR240 first as done the most in that. But its an interesting kit to say the least and one is already up at Eggesford in the model cabinet, built by an owner, so that gives the incentive to start soon.

As to Balliols, I must have had a weird childhood as didnt like Spitfires or Phantoms, the love of my life was the Harvard (and still is) closely followed by the Balliol and then now of course the AOP9. Don't know what it was for the first two - think a copy of Speed and Power (remember that?) on the Reno Races and for the Balliol, a B&W photo in a book. Now have far two many Harvards dotted around the house - together with a 1/1 fin and rudder!! As to Balliols, a friend very kindly 'offered' to build one of the Pegasus kits and so yesterday collected it. Seems poor chap almost pulled all of his hair out as it was quite basic and a lot of the parts didn't fit or were broken. Cost me a lot of beer (and probably more in the future!), but am very pleased with the result.

Martin

Attachment Balliol.jpg not found

Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by T6flyer.

Re: Hallam Vac Auster AOP.9 3 years 11 months ago #35385

• Miggers
  • Thank you received: 1
LeifH wrote:
Actually

Leif

You're right on both counts Leif,I was chatting to Dave about that little yellow Airfix Auster
that my dear old Dad used to build so many of for me as a lad back in the 60's,
(it was re-released about five years years ago in a spangly new box and moulded in the
usual Airfix grey plastic,I have two in my stash waiting for the day),and that no-one had
done a good'un for Fs and that I'd love to fly one.

As we all now know,Dave took up the baton,linked up with Martin and Co at Eggesford,
and the rest, as they say,is part of our history.
Dave did that little yellow(orange actually) T.7 Antarctic,putting it on skis and floats for the masses,but did a special wheeled version just for me,it's given me many happy hours of
stooging along and admiring the view from it's cockpit.
I've even taken it on a couple of Sunday night Multiplayers,on the first occaision our Dave
was heard to blurt out with glee "Ha-har,you're flying it,you're flying it".

Pegasus kits are a bit basic(the moulds wore out quickly so the early releases of each kit are the best),but can be built into a good representation of the subject as Martin's friend has shown
with that Bally.
The main thing is that they covered many British subjects that the mainstreams would never
touch in 1/72nd(the Bally,Seafire 47 and Spiteful/Seafang for starters)injected.

Hallam were another example(along with Rareplane,Contrail and Formaplane)of the
"cottage industry" at the time that strove to bring us stuff that the mainstream wouldn't
touch.
Hallam's masters were done by one John Adams,he went on to found the very good
Aeroclub range of accessories,conversion sets and kits.
His Seafire/Spitfire conversions in 1/72nd are rated to be the most accurate in the world,
so that Hallam AOP.9 will be excellent.

Mark
CBF Alpha/Beta Test Pilot

CBF Chief Fighter Pilot

IL2 Messerschmitt 109 ace

Holder of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves,Swords and Diamonds.
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Miggers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T6flyer