Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Forever England

Forever England 4 years 11 months ago #30191

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Take the Cotswolds, Some real time weather, Dave Moly's superlative Terrier,as repainted By Peter W, Add Gary Jones' sound set, and a little imagination and for about 45 minutes this evening, I was flying in my fathers footsteps, looking for earthworks along the western edge of the Cotswolds, in the early morning light when shadows give the best aspect of Iron Age earthworks.

Thank you guys for letting me relive part my childhood.

Out of curiosity can anyone name the two hills on the left side of the aircraft in the last shot?

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by LeifH.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Forever England 4 years 11 months ago #30192

• Molyned
  • Thank you received: 6
Just a wild guess Leif - are they supposed to be the Malvern Hills ?
Your pix make the old gel look great :)
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

Re: Forever England 4 years 11 months ago #30193

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
No Dave they are much further North on the other side of the Severn.

I was hoping Jon would happen along -- The further one is Churchdown (it actually seperated Glosters from Staverton)
I think the closer one should be Cleve Hill...but as I said Dave , Jon will be able to set me straight.

And thank you for the compliment, but all I did was hit print screen those are un retouched screenshots (besides cropping to 800 x 500)

Leif

Re: Forever England 4 years 11 months ago #30195

Leif,

I haven't lived there for more than twenty years either. :lol: I have visited fairly regularly though.

If you're over the M5 heading north west (I hope I'm not misreading the compass :unsure: ) you've got the cotswold escarpment on your right coming up to Birdlip and the Air Balloon (a pub). The two hills separate from the escarpment would be Churchdown hill next to Staverton airport and the nearer one on the left is Robinswood hill next to Matson in Gloucester.

Cleeve Hill is part of the cotswold escarpment to the west of Cheltenham beyond Birdlip hill and Leckhampton hill.

Now tell me I'm completely wrong. :laugh:

Jon

PS Had to google the name of Robinswood hill. :whistle:
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by murnaghan.

Re: Forever England 4 years 11 months ago #30196

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
No I couldnt remember Robinswood - your spot on where I was - you can see the M5 under the left lift strut....I still havnt reloaded that gorgeous Gloucester City centre scenery - and YES I do still insist on calling it Staverton instead of Gloucestershire Airport. It was a wonderful forth five minutes flying...Actually I was out working with the Nymphsfield and Aston Down scenery as part of DaveHs third scenic tour project....I told him this time we needed to have some challenging aerodromes....and there isnt much more daunting than landing on the ridgeback at Nymphsfield.

Leif

Re: Forever England 4 years 11 months ago #30198

There is existing scenery for Aston Down and Nympsfield here.

www.shepsshed.com/bits.htm

And if you scroll down there's the Cleeve hill radio masts as well.

I know I've asked this before but which weather engine are you using? I'm thinking about REX for FSX.

Jon

Re: Forever England 4 years 11 months ago #30201

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Its fs9 So its AV6.5 Jon -- I have the Nymphsfield and Aston Down but Shep made it for UKVFR so I have to build exclusions BGLs for both of them to remove all the trees on the runways.....I'll put the Cleve Hill masts in as well I think...there are also some wind turbines for Slimbridge

Re: Forever England 4 years 11 months ago #30206

That must be why I didn't install Aston Down in FS9. ;)

I've got it in FSX which I prefer for gliding. The tow aircraft is an obvious advantage.

Jon

Re: Forever England 4 years 9 months ago #30781

That looks gorgeous Leif. You certainly seem to have FS9 setup absolutely perfectly. I was thinking it was FSX at first...

What mesh are you using?
Peter Forster