Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Something I'm working on

Something I'm working on 4 years 6 months ago #32702

First, I'll apologise to FS9ers-this is going to be FSX only (I never even had FS9)

I was getting fed up with the default Duxford, so I've tried my hand at ADE, and heres the result. Its the first FS thing I've ever done with a view to releasing it, so please go easy :blush:

I'm doing all the airfields in Cambridgeshire, along with some basic AI flightplans, and will probably release them all at once in one pack. Due to the fact I have no GMax skills whatsoever, I'm using a mixture of FSX stock objects, Ted Andrews RAF buildings and some custom buildings made specially by Dave Garwood for this pack.

What do you think? Once everythings finished I'd be perfectly willing to upload a copy here if you want. (I'm not trying to plug this or anything though)

Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by tango234.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 6 months ago #32703

Looks nice! I may just have to break down and get FSX.

Cheers,
Scott
KJMS (or thereabouts)

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 6 months ago #32704

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Tom

We always invite people to upload here, you don't have to plug, sharing is what this hobby is all about.

Looking good

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 6 months ago #32705

Thanks! :) I'll upload it here when its finished then.

Duxford itself is finished, as is Fowlmere. EGSC (Cambridge) is taking a while, but the others shouldn't present too much of a problem.

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 6 months ago #32706

• Keith Paine
  • Thank you received: 4
Why wait until you have completed what could be a very large package - KIS principle often helps, so why not release it in various stages?
I do not have very much addon stuff for FSX, but I do find that I need to tune down my version because of frame rates! ( I use both FS9 & FSX, but currently prefer FS9 because of frame rates!)
Keith
Upside Down In Cloud.....
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Keith Paine.

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 6 months ago #32712

The package is unlikely to be that big-after all there are only 8 airfields in Cambridgeshire, and the only big ones are Cambridge and Duxford, the others are pretty much already done as well (Fowlmere took 15 minutes, Bourn not much longer). I'm going to release it all at once so I have some order to the things I release in the future, I'm probably going to work at about one county a package, or one county for two packages if they are quite large (like yorkshire).

Another reason I'm going to release it all at once is I haven't done the AI flightplans and parking codes for Duxford/Cambridge just yet. They'll only be simple, but I don't want to release a lifeless airfield.

I hope to release it at the very latest next weekend, but you know what release dates in FS are like :whistle:

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 6 months ago #32714

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Tom

One thing you will find around here

We DONT work to deadlines self imposed or otherwise
when its ready its ready :)

Leif

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 6 months ago #32715

Very true :)
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by tango234.

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 5 months ago #32827

Wow - love it!!

Just a thought - may resonate with a lot of the folks here - what about a "backdated" version with all the museum and really modern bits taken out? Might take only a few minutes, but it would allow some authentic 50's / 60's era flying quite nicely.

Alternatively, if the museum, modern static aeroplanes, etc. are in a separate bgl(s), then that might be another route - allowing individual users to take them out/add them in as preferred.

Again, not wanting to propose a whole pile of extra work - and I know that Duxford 1950 would have looked differently than simply current Duxford less the musum - but that would certainly be compromise I'd be happy to live with, given the fantastic work you've done placing all the wartime buildings.

Just food for thought. Either way - eagerly anticipating your work.

Kindest regards,

Daniel
Quaere verum - Seek truth
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by delta_lima.

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 5 months ago #32836

I have thought about that, and I think I might add it as an option, along with the slightly modified AFCAD to represent Duxford around 2000 when there were more aircraft on the ramp. After all, how hard can it be to delete a few buildings or add parking spaces?

The static aircraft will be very easy to remove as they are AI. This does mean that extra downloads will be required, but its a lot easier for me, and I want to concentrate on the airfields.

Since I'm building everything with ADE, the airport and objects are all in the same file at the moment. I might change this, but at this stage I doubt it, I like having everything in one place.

On other news-I've finished everything for Duxford and Fowlmere except mobile AI, and the other airfields are coming along nicely. Its going to take a little longer than anticipated, but that is due to the fact I've decided to do custom models for the bourn and possibly conington towers. I'm also going to revisit my Wyton afcad to make sure it is compatible with the new MAIW RAF tutors AI package.

I've also done custom voicepacks for Bourn, Fowlmere, Little Gransden, Sibson and Conington.

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 5 months ago #32845

Makes sense T - thanks for considering the idea.

If it's easy to do, that'd be grand. If the aircraft are AI instead of statics, then it's a simple matter to then not load the traffic.bgl.

Any way this comes, out - it'll be good.

thanks again!

dl

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 5 months ago #32855

Well, a backdating job just got easier

www.rafg.moonfruit.com/#/duxford/4546726410

(note picture on the right)

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 5 months ago #32856

Awesome resource - thanks for posting. I don't want to take attention away from what looks to be your original modern intent with my little suggestion - so thanks so much for even considering!

I'll comb through some of those - am hoping to get into scenery design, and this site may a good starting point for doing some RAF airfields.

many thanks,

dl
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by delta_lima.

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 5 months ago #33139

Just as an update for those who are interested.

I'm going to release Duxford on its own, since I haven't got much time at all at the moment to do the rest, and Duxford is done. Its probably not the best for framerates because of all the objects, and it ain't 100% accurate, but its fine for me.

I'm going to put together a readme now, along with flightplans for the rapides.

I'll still release the full Cambridgeshire set, but it would take a much longer time to deal with, and I have too many essays to do.

Re: Something I'm working on 4 years 5 months ago #33140

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
Tom

Can you shoot me some screenshots of the scenery so we can put em up?

Loverly stuff by the way

Leif
  • Page: