Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get

About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 4 months ago #33628

Surely one of the iconic airframe/livery combinations of aviation history

Canadair CL-44-6 (CC-106) Yukon...WIP..., part of the now reactivated Britannia/CL-44 project

Garry
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Garry Russell.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeifH

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 4 months ago #33632

Great Aircraft ---Great Shots

Fred39
<----KEEP SAFE
<>
KEEP FLYING---->

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 4 months ago #33637

Thanks Fred

A few more shots of the project

Superb panel by Fraser Mc Kay

Comes in several versions

CL-44 D4

CL-44-J (Rolls Royce 400)

Conroy CL-44-O...Still lacking some texuring

And then there will be the Britannias too

Garry

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 3 months ago #33690

Looks superb.

Is this an expansion of Jen K's Britannia? I'm assuming so, seeing the CL-44 and Skymonster shots.

regards,

dl
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 3 months ago #33691

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
DL, do you understand the expression "To stand on ones dick?"
because you just did it
They ARE NOT extensions of any of jens work, they predate his Britannia by four years, Garry has been working dilengently to produce the ultimate Britannia and Cl44 series for fs9 and FSX for that long, I think you owe Mr Russell an apology my friend

Leif
<<In the early morning rain, with a dollar in my hand>>
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by LeifH.

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 3 months ago #33694

Indeed

It goes back before my year without a workable system and before the cancer that nearly killed me and left me semi disabled and unable to work on projects

I failed to see how you think I would do such a thing and in what way is it similar to Jens Britannia that you can assume anything??

I have always said it was apart of MY Britannia project

Garry
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Garry Russell.

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 3 months ago #33695

Check out the date on this thread

www.cbfsim.org/cb-bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t...it=britannia#p139292

It would have been out years ago but life events took a hold

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 3 months ago #33697

LeifH wrote:
DL, do you understand the expression "To stand on ones dick?"
because you just did it
They ARE NOT extensions of any of jens work, they predate his Britannia by four years, Garry has been working dilengently to produce the ultimate Britannia and Cl44 series for fs9 and FSX for that long, I think you owe Mr Russell an apology my friend

Leif

Leif,

As a gentleman and former officer, it is beneath my level of dignity to respond to your first remark. Utterly shameful, evidencing the jocularity only made possible by the relative safety of one's keyboard.

Garry,

I was not aware of your illness, from which I wish you a speedy and complete recover. Owing to my own family situation, I am not able to track all the goings of on of the myriad FS projects. I was looking to understand this project, ergo the question. The only Britannia I knew of was Jen's; no sinister connection ever crossed my mind. For any offence my lack of knowledge caused, I apologize. Note though, that I apologize out of respect for Garry and the other devs here, and in spite of, not because of, Leif's uncharitable response to an honest question.

I have enjoyed almost a decade of the FS hobby, and overwhelmingly, the experience has been helpful and positive, including the honour of contributing to a number of payware and freeware projects. So Leif's comments today are the first time I've been addressed by a fellow simmer with such churlish vulgarity - and it will be the last. Notwithstanding the rest of the good folks here, intentional disrespect is not a price I'm willing to pay. For his part, when inevitably Leif's turn comes to make an honest mistake, my hope is that he be treated with a greater civility, if not graciousness than he showed today.

Garry, I greatly apprecaite all your work, and know your future endeavours will be deeply appreciated by all in the FS community. To you and your team, I sincerely wish the very best.

Blue skies,

Daniel
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by delta_lima.

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 3 months ago #33698

Understood Daniel

It was been publicized several times in various places and on the front page here for a couple of years. :lol:

I'm not sure how many people are aware of the differences between a CL-44 and Britannia but only the main undercarriage flaps main gear bays and doors and ailerons are common to bothas far as fs is concerned.

In real life nothing at all is the same. :ohmy:

Everything else is either moved or modified and sometimes both. :blink:

It is a huge project and was re activated about four weeks ago.

I work as I can but I will never fully recover.

It's a job to know exactly how many models in the project until I actually do them but there will be at least eleven CL-44 and nine Britannia's such as the differences in types and sub types.

A mate of mine made a vid of an early (the first) concept CL-44 model...this has been completely remade since this was shot

ATB

Garry

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 3 months ago #33699

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
DL

I will remove the offending post (as an administrator I do have that ability although it makes peoples responses read slight awkwardly) However I stand by what I said, many people show up here do not bother to look back at the prodigious amount of work that has come from this site. Its NOT my site I am just one of the administrators as is Garry Russell, we both arrived here when no one knew it existed or what we were about - over almost seven years probably the most comprehensive library of British aircraft for FS9 and FSX has been put together, we dont get paid for it, we don't ask anything, We DO take alot of flack for things - such as the in ability of some people to download items from the library, when they cant they go bitch about it on other forums , when we find out I take care and pride to find alternate ways to get the files to them, MANY MANY times I have seen in writing models , sound files, scenery and the like bad mouthed because they originated here, When this happens I tend to be the site's pit bull, I am very very protective of the developers who are kind enough to gift this site with their incredible work , asking nothing in return, Had you cared to peruse the threads here or even (god forbid)
do a search for Britannia or Cl44 in the website search engine you would have found out how erroneous your statments were, and being part of the test group for Garrys work (not just the Brit and the 44 but also the Bristol Superfreighter and Freighter) and also having the great pride to call him Friend, I read your post with annoyance that someone would infer that one of the finest painters in the hobby who turned his considerable talents to modeling was an extension of someone else's work. You may as well have held a red rag to a bull. So my apologies if my defence hurt your officer and gentlemen sensibilties.
If you do not wish to return here , sorry mate its your loss.

Leif
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by LeifH. Reason: why do I have to justify myself?

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 3 months ago #33700

Thanks for understanding Garry,

I've got a very terminally ill family member in hospital, at the moment, so again apologies that synapses were a bit far apart. Kudos to you, for pressing on in the face of a sickness like this - your commitment to our hobby is more than words can repay.

I must be confused, since I thought the Bristol Britannia and the CL-44/CC-106 and CL-28 all shared landing gear components. As you can tell, I'm no expert on the type, and you probably have all the primary data sources you need. But if perchance the following might help, let me know. CFB Comox on Vancouver Island is a former "haunt" of mine, and houses a CL-28 in good condition. It's a few hours' ferry ride away from my home, and when next I have cause to go to the Island, I'll swing up and take some pictures of whatever you feel of the Argus would help you in developing the Britannia/CL-44, etc.

If you don't need it that's fine - just happy to help if needed. I've PM'ed you my contact info - email me and let me know if you'd benefit from a little photo scouting.

Best,

Daniel
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by delta_lima.

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 3 months ago #33702

Hi Daniel

Thanks ..all that stuff is made now

For FS purposed the main gear is the same. In the real world the Argus had a slightly different gear. The retraction was different as there was no exhaust to clear.

Some parts were similar to the Britannia but it was all Americanised. The same with the Fairchild Friendship. It looks like a Fokker F.27 but all made with American materials and re engineered so parts from one will simply just not fit the other.

In the case of the Argus it the wing tail and rear fuse was taken from the Britannia and completely re engineered with internals very different from the British version. A few extra bits were added.

The Argus had a whole new forward fuse and a Convair Liner windscreen. It use standard off the shelf DC 7C power-plants.

The CL-44 is often said to be a Tyne engined version of the Britannia but in fact it was a transport version of the Argus

Taking the wing, tail and tailplane from the Argus it used a re engineered Britannia fuselage. The main gear returned to the same type as the Britannia as regards retraction.

With the swing tail, apart from the different windscreen and swinging tail, the whole fuse aft of the wing was a different shape and because of that there is a slight difference in the fin too.

That's why I get re use some parts in FS, but wouldn't be able to in real life.

What parts are reusable have to be moved in relation to the models datum line.

ATB

Garry

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 1 month ago #34373

Greetings Gary;
Just stopped by to see if there was any update on the CL-44, from the screen shots it looks like its going to a blast to fly.

Take care Gary;
Shawn

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 1 month ago #34398

Hi Shawn

Still progressing

It has a basic ionterior now...which is different to the D4 and bothe sets of pax doors and freight door are fully operation.

The main work at the moment is on detail animations

Some pics taken this evening

Garry
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Garry Russell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkOne

Re: About as Classic Canadian as Yukon Get 4 years 1 month ago #34399

• LeifH
  • Just an old shepherd
It really is a thing of beauty Garry

;)

Leif