Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Yukon Almost Ready

Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36042

The CL-44 D4 has advanced further since the limited release and while the final version of that particular model chugs through the test area the next has been brought up to that standard.

A couple of small bugs to sort out, but after spending the last few days rebuilding I've been up and about actually flying.

The next in the series is the CL-44-6 or as was in service the CC-106 Yukon

Garry
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36044

Hello Garry,

Looks delightfully good.

One small niggle though - (and it could be that I can't quite make out the screen shot details) but it appears you have the ensign/roundels mixed up.

The RCAF went through a ridiculously iterative bunch of changes in their schemes - and understandably painters get this mixed up a lot in FS.

You have the RCAF ensign on the tail, and RCAF on the fuselage - but it appears the roundels appear to be a much later type.

www.flickr.com/photos/xsacman/5408791068/in/photostream

This scheme was used between July 1958 and Feb 1962.

Now there WAS a period when the Yukon carried the Maple Leaf roundel you painted - but that was later, when the RCAF ensign was replaced by the Canadian Flag - right before unification. That was the scheme used between Feb 1962 and Feb 1968. So you have a choice as to how to go - whether before or after 62. Before 62 is ensign and old maple leaf, after 62 is maple leaf and new maple leaf.

For RCAF reference, this guide is a good tool ....

www.canmilair.com/schemes.htm

Hope this helps - and great job!!

Daniel
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36046

HI Daniel

Yes sometimes almost every pic seems different

This is worked off photos and quite a few of them are like this

www.cl44.com/cl44/images/15923.jpg

One thing I have changed since the screenshots is I've added the missing nose numbers, which I forgot.

Cheers
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Garry Russell.

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36047

My pleasure,

I actually think the photo you sent has the correct (old) maple leaf actually - if you zoom right in you'll see the old maple leaf I'm talking about. ;)

These shot also shows it a bit better

www.cl44.com/cl44/images/15928x1.jpg

www.cl44.com/cl44/images/15929x1.jpg

The older (more detailed) roundel had 21 points on it vs 11 points on the newer simpler leaf that was used from 68 to present.

To better explain, its

(old) www.aviaeology.com/aod72c50.html

vs

(new) bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/Roundel_-_modern_CAF.jpg

I don't have my detailed RCAF file archive handy on this pc, but if you need anything more, I can send you later.

Anyways - small nits and the grand scheme of things.

All the best,

Daniel

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36048

OK Thanks

I'll check out those links later:)

I'm not on the PC now so I can't do anything at the moment

It is incredible how many livery variations on just 12 airctaft over aout ten years

I know virtually nothing about military aircxrtaft as it's not something I've ever followed :S

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36049

I know - the number of changes to our military schemes defies understanding.

Anyway - this release will be eagerly anticipated. I'm hoping it does ok in FSX - though I understand that's not your platform of choice. Most of the Calclassics planes do well in this sim, though, so I'm confident this will be fine.

I was hoping to have caught the beta you had a few weeks back - the whole family got very sick, and couldn't get it before it came down. The final should be lovely - a job you should be proud of.

let me know if you need anything,

Daniel

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36050

HI Daniel

I've not taken any betas down

Anything that was available still is

The D4 was released but there is an ever more up to date version of that.

There is an FS.X version, it has a different .cab and .DDS textures are being tested

It's not a case of not choosing FS.X by system barely runs FS.9 properly as it has a fault.

The only thing I'm aware of that the FS.X version doesn't have is side views in the 2D panel as that is unsupported in FS.X

Are you a member of CBFS?

Garry

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36051

Looking great Garry. Can't wait for this one and the others to start coming out. Had a quick play with the Beta 6 D4 earlier and the new animations and startup sequence changes are awesome. Really does make you feel like you're starting those big powerful engines and that you're doing it in the correct order.

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36052

Thanks Chris

The start up sequence was not easy and took us a while to get the bugs out of the animation and the code and many many test pieces were made. It's not perfect as prop rotation at lower speeds is not something FS does well :(

However to me it's turned the low ground running portion of the start sequence from an embarrassment to something that is entertaining to watch and reminds me so much of the BEA Vanguards turning the big propeller every so slowly to start and then after a low RPM juice the power up :woohoo:

Quality entertainment for ten years olds.....and 54 year olds, but don't tell anyone. :silly:

Garry

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36053

Thanks for clarifying Garry. Yes, am a member at CBFS, though by lack of time, have not visited for a while. Looked again - found the 1 Oct beta - am downloading as we speak.

Eager to try - will advise when I get a chance to fly.

Best!

Daniel

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36054

HI Daniel

I just sent you a PM at Cal Classic

Forget that download

See PM

ATB

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36065

I've changed the roundels and redone the livery into an earlier version which fits more squarely with that particular insignia

Off to look for a cave to hide in :blink:

Re: Yukon Almost Ready 3 years 9 months ago #36096

Bravo - that's superb Garry!

Ensign and maple leaf now match. New scheme is nice. While it indeed wore many schemes in the RCAF/CF, I'd say these early schemes are somehow more iconic - if nothing, in showing it's Britannic/Commonwealth connection :lol: . Just opionion, I guess.

That coincides with my favourite period for FS flying (very early 1960s) - nicely. :)

Got the latest Beta downloaded - have a house full of sick kids and wife - been running like a mad hatter, so I've not had a chance to go over the systems in detail.

I'll check things out soon, and review the manuals, the CBFS Britannia thread, and if needed, advise issues.

Again - well done!

Daniel